Re: S9 Pixels

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Marli, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Marli

    Marli Guest

    Why are so many people scared of this sensor??

    I think it will be in every camera one day. Probably made by all the
    manufactures themselves.

    "Michael Schnell" <> wrote in message
    > I just saw an advertisement of a discounter offering the S9 as a more then
    > 10 Mega Pixels camera "3,5 Mega Pixels in three planes".
    >
    > Funny how they define a pixel a three pixels <g>.
    >
    > (In the same sheet there is an advertisement for a Gericom Laptop

    "offering

    Marli, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Marli

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:32:17 +0800, "Marli"
    <> wrote:

    >Why are so many people scared of this sensor??

    I haven't seen anyone "scared" of it. Many were hopeful that it would be a
    big leap forward, but many of those have been a bit disappointed by the real
    world performance.

    >I think it will be in every camera one day.

    I doubt it.

    >Probably made by all the
    >manufactures themselves.

    Almost certainly not.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

    John Navas, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Marli

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Marli"

    >Why are so many people scared of this sensor??

    Two possible reasons why they aren't buying it (I doubt anyone is "scared" of
    it :) ...

    It's only available with a Sigma camera and people who already own, say, Canon
    lenses sure as hell aren't selling all their Canon gear to buy what is widely
    perceived (rightly or wrongly) as an inferior brand.

    The reviews say the image quality is roughly equivalent to a 5 Mpix camera, not
    10 Mpix as the ads misleadingly seem to imply. So the Nikon D100 and Canon
    D60/10D are much more popular, for good reason. Lots of people own lenses for
    them and the image quality is apparently higher.

    >I think it will be in every camera one day. Probably made by all the
    >manufactures themselves.

    If Nikon or Canon would come out with a higher megapixel camera based on this
    sensor it would likely be a best seller.

    So long as only Sigma is making a body for it and it has less megapix than the
    competition then it's not that interesting to many people though.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 10, 2003
  4. >Why are so many people scared of this sensor??

    Because (I think) it's a waste of resources. You just don't need three
    sensors per pixel. With a given count of sensors it's more economical to
    make them as small as possible in a plane. So you get an as sharp luminance
    picture as possible. The color distribution picture is less sharp than with
    the sensors in three plans, but that does not matter that much.

    Michael Schnell, Jul 10, 2003