Re: Rust Never Sleeps When The D3 Is In Town!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jürgen Exner, Jun 8, 2008.

  1. "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:
    [Subject: Rust Never Sleeps When The D3 Is In Town!!]

    I had no idea that a modern camera would be susceptible to rust (unless
    maybe in very special circumstances). I really would have thought that
    especially Nikon would have a better grasp on it. After all even my 30
    year old bottom-line SLR doesn't show any signs of rust.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jun 8, 2008

  2. Jürgen Exner

    Mr.T Guest

    "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I had no idea that a modern camera would be susceptible to rust (unless
    > maybe in very special circumstances). I really would have thought that
    > especially Nikon would have a better grasp on it. After all even my 30
    > year old bottom-line SLR doesn't show any signs of rust.

    Unfortunately most camera's are highly susceptible to rust if the batteries
    leak though.
    Or even if you take it to take it to the beach without due care.

    MrT.
    Mr.T, Jun 8, 2008

  3. "Mr.T" <MrT@home> wrote:

    >"Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    >> I had no idea that a modern camera would be susceptible to rust (unless
    >> maybe in very special circumstances). I really would have thought that
    >> especially Nikon would have a better grasp on it. After all even my 30
    >> year old bottom-line SLR doesn't show any signs of rust.

    >Unfortunately most camera's are highly susceptible to rust if the batteries
    >leak though.
    >Or even if you take it to take it to the beach without due care.

    Maybe to corrosion, I agree with that. But not to rust.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jun 8, 2008
  4. Jürgen Exner

    > Maybe to corrosion, I agree with that. But not to rust.

    Maybe you could define the difference on the iron/steel components for the
    rest of us?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosion

    And yes I know Wikipedia is not infallible, so I'd be pleased to hear your
    superior contribution.

    MrT.
    Mr.T, Jun 8, 2008
  5. "Mr.T" <MrT@home> wrote:
    >"Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    >> Maybe to corrosion, I agree with that. But not to rust.

    >Maybe you could define the difference on the iron/steel components for the
    >rest of us?

    Yes, sorry, you are right. There are still many cameras out there with a
    steel frame and there is a a possibility of rust on those.
    However the D3 as mentioned by the OP has a magnesium shell instead of a
    steel frame and I think you will have a hard time finding any steel
    parts on it.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jun 8, 2008
  6. Jürgen Exner

    > Yes, sorry, you are right. There are still many cameras out there with a
    > steel frame and there is a a possibility of rust on those.
    > However the D3 as mentioned by the OP has a magnesium shell instead of a
    > steel frame and I think you will have a hard time finding any steel
    > parts on it.

    OK, I'll take your word on that. But I'd be surprised if the lens mount,
    flash shoe and most of the screws aren't steel. Not to mention mirror
    housing, prism housing etc. etc.

    But if it was all plastic it couldn't rust, not many consider that an
    improvement though :)

    MrT.
    Mr.T, Jun 9, 2008
  7. Jürgen Exner

    Wilba Guest

    Mr.T wrote:
    > Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes, sorry, you are right. There are still many cameras out there with
    >> a steel frame and there is a a possibility of rust on those. However the
    >> D3 as mentioned by the OP has a magnesium shell instead of a steel
    >> frame and I think you will have a hard time finding any steel parts on
    >> it.

    > OK, I'll take your word on that. But I'd be surprised if the lens mount,
    > flash shoe and most of the screws aren't steel. Not to mention mirror
    > housing, prism housing etc. etc.

    Springs is one component class that I'd expect to be al steel.

    Wilba, Jun 9, 2008