Re: running IE is bad? was: Intel may have to reduce speed of Prescott

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by willbill, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. willbill

    willbill Guest

    Sat, 20 Dec 2003 05:14:43 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

    > Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:31:12 -0600, willbill wrote:

    > >Fri, 19 Dec 2003 06:10:49 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

    > >> Netscape 7.1 is broken and AFAIK is frozen - IOW there will be
    > >> no 7.11 so it will never be fixed

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    i can believe that, but never say never. :)
    how about 1,000 to 1?

    > >> so I'm sticking with 1.4.1 for the moment...
    > >> which is what I'd recommend you use.

    ok, i went with that!

    > >thank you for the suggestions (also to angel)
    > >
    > >i down loaded the 1.4.1 exe for win32 (only 12 meg. :))
    > >
    > >are you saying that the 1.4.1 that i just got has
    > >this resource leak bug in it?

    > No, 1.4 had the resource leak - 1.4.1 worked around it...

    <snip>

    > >also, i'd like to download a current plugin of java.
    > >when i went to the sun site (http://java.sun.com/j2se/downloads.html)
    > >it wasn't clear (to me) what to download

    > Yeah, Sun's site is very confusing as to what you need but as a user you
    > just want the JRE (Java Runtime Environment). Mozilla.org says to use
    > 1.4.1 or later so I use 1.4.2_03 which you can get to from here
    > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html - under the JRE column of the
    > "Download J2SE v 1.4.2_03" section.

    got it and Mozilla 1.4.1. :)

    uninstalled Netscape 7.0.0 and also
    uninstalled an earlier version of Java
    and Java Web Start

    one minor problem with the install of Java,
    but i'm functional with it and think i can
    resolve the problem with newer video drivers

    > > ...i'll continue to use NS 4.8 whenever possible
    > > coz my firewall shows that 4.8 clearly doesn't do
    > > (or permit?) that secondary activity

    > I think you'll find that Mozilla is clean in that respect. It was only
    > when I switched to Mozilla 1.4.1 that I felt confident I'd not need
    > Netscape 4.8 again.

    i'm still keeping 4.8 for e-mail and as a 2nd web browser

    > There *is* of course the odd site which doesn't work
    > right with Mozilla but that's usually IE specific stuff and you just have
    > to use IE.

    agreed

    > As I recall, Mozilla will pick up all your Netscape settings and mail
    > folders/files etc. but for some weird reason will not transfer your
    > Netscape Address Book. ISTR having to export mine from Netscape and then
    > import it into Mozilla. Note the warnings about not sharing a "profile"
    > between the two, so before using Mozilla, make a copy, under a different
    > folder name of course, of your Netscape 7.x profile folder structure and
    > use it for Mozilla.

    i'm liking Mozilla 1.4.1 a _*LOT*_!!
    (but would only suggest it to a "do-it-yourself" person;
    others should get Netscape 7.0.2)

    thank you george!!

    bill

    just because you're paranoid doesn't mean
    that they're not out there to get you
    willbill, Dec 23, 2003

  2. On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:28:38 -0600, willbill
    <> wrote:

    >Sat, 20 Dec 2003 05:14:43 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    >i can believe that, but never say never. :)
    >how about 1,000 to 1?

    Yeah well there have been some amazing things related to AOL/Netscape etc.
    Who woulda thunk AOL would take over Time Warner? It's not like "Netscape"
    actually consists of anything tangible - latterly, AFAIK, just a couple of
    guys/gals who added on the fluff to Mozilla.

    >> > ...i'll continue to use NS 4.8 whenever possible
    >> > coz my firewall shows that 4.8 clearly doesn't do
    >> > (or permit?) that secondary activity

    >> I think you'll find that Mozilla is clean in that respect. It was only
    >> when I switched to Mozilla 1.4.1 that I felt confident I'd not need
    >> Netscape 4.8 again.

    >i'm still keeping 4.8 for e-mail and as a 2nd web browser

    IMO Mozilla 1.4.1 is at least as good an e-mail client as 4.8 - has a very
    good junk mail filter feature (Bayesian) though that's always better done
    at the server.

    >> As I recall, Mozilla will pick up all your Netscape settings and mail
    >> folders/files etc. but for some weird reason will not transfer your
    >> Netscape Address Book. ISTR having to export mine from Netscape and then
    >> import it into Mozilla. Note the warnings about not sharing a "profile"
    >> between the two, so before using Mozilla, make a copy, under a different
    >> folder name of course, of your Netscape 7.x profile folder structure and
    >> use it for Mozilla.

    >i'm liking Mozilla 1.4.1 a _*LOT*_!!
    >(but would only suggest it to a "do-it-yourself" person;
    > others should get Netscape 7.0.2)

    I found 7.0x *very* frustrating - boringly slow and so many things just
    didn't work right, especially in the Preferences Dialogs and settings.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    George Macdonald, Dec 25, 2003

  3. willbill

    willbill Guest

    Thu, 25 Dec 2003 02:02:05 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:28:38 -0600, willbill wrote:

    > >i'm still keeping 4.8 for e-mail and as a 2nd web browser

    > IMO Mozilla 1.4.1 is at least as good an e-mail client as 4.8 - has a very
    > good junk mail filter feature (Bayesian) though that's always better done
    > at the server.

    yes, i saw info on that and was tempted. :)

    after doing the Mozilla install (with no mail install),
    i saw that the new e-mail client will also handle
    multiple e-mail names/servers. so i'm planning
    to install the mail software. thank you for
    your additional comments on the e-mail client. :)

    > >i'm liking Mozilla 1.4.1 a _*LOT*_!!
    > >(but would only suggest it to a "do-it-yourself" person;
    > > others should get Netscape 7.0.2)

    > I found 7.0x *very* frustrating - boringly slow and so many things just
    > didn't work right, especially in the Preferences Dialogs and settings.

    i only had NS 7.0.0 on my machine for a week
    so can't offer much in the way of comments,
    other than that the install was way easier
    than Mozilla and Java. NS 7.0.0 also didn't
    cause any problems

    whereas Mozilla 1.4.1 turned up a minor glitch
    with my ATI video drivers (which the Mozilla
    readme warned about), so i had to upgrade
    my ATI Catalyst drivers/control-panel from
    3.6 to 3.10 to fix it. fwiw, the Catalyst drivers
    i've used have been pretty good (9000Pro with
    first 3.2, then 3.6, and now 3.10 with the 3.10
    so far making the best impression)

    bill
    willbill, Dec 26, 2003