Re: running Flash using IE8 on x64 system

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by PA Bear [MS MVP], Mar 19, 2010.

  1. [Crosspost to Win 64-bit General newsgroup]

    > By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my
    > system.

    By default, IE6 will be installed (unless IE7 was OEM-preinstalled).

    > I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will
    > install IE8 on my system.

    My personal recommendations include:

    => Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d044402c-84ce-472e-b3ac-9531f4feef47
    [1]

    Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared to
    install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

    => Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
    and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

    => Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
    installing or uninstalling IE8.

    => I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
    anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
    before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
    third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
    Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

    => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
    System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
    reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

    Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go to
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any
    Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB978207). If a Root Certificates
    update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
    advantage of IE's enhanced security.

    > Does the windows update install both the x32
    > (Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory) version
    > of
    > IE8?

    If you install IE8 via WU or use the correct installer when installing
    manually, yes.

    > Also, I was interested in any suggestions and opinions on anti-virus
    > software to use?

    Microsoft Security Essentials (free)
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx

    ===============
    [1] NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the
    computer when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows
    is reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial AND download/run the
    appropriate removal tool BEFORE installing any updates, Windows Service
    Packs or IE upgrades AND BEFORE installing your new anti-virus application
    (which will require WinXP x64 SP2 to be installed).

    Norton Removal Tool
    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

    McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
    http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)