Re: Routing incoming port 80 requests thru an ADSL router

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Just to close the loop on this one I used the telnet interface to move the
    HTTP server in the router to port 8080 and mapped the public port 80 through
    to 192.168.0.21:8080 on the LAN. This gets the router's configuration
    interface out of the way of incoming HTTP requests. Although at that point I
    was still getting errors trying to connect from the LAN to my internally
    hosted site using the public sub-domain name (i.e. as if I was joe-public
    floating around the Internet) it worked fine from an external site so I
    guess this was some sort of loopback-related problem.

    The other thing I noticed is that running NAT on the router hasn't affected
    the host headers in the request. Using this scheme I should now be able to
    set up one sub-domain for each site I need to give external clients access
    to (thanks to the very flexible iServe console), and my ADSL router will
    point all of these incoming requests to my web server. Each site of the web
    server will be set up at 192.168.0.21:8080 with the host header entry
    providing the discrimination needed to serve correct site.

    Hope others in the future find this useful.

    Alan

    "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > I've set up a sub-domain to point to a server on my network that's hosting

    > few web sites. DNS is working, but the router is putting up it's own
    > web-based configuration site instead of routing the incoming port 80
    > requests straight through.
    >
    > When I define a TCP mapping I can specify the public port and the private

    IP

    Alan, Sep 11, 2003