Re: Routing incoming port 80 requests thru an ADSL router

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John Burns, Sep 9, 2003.

  1. John Burns

    John Burns Guest

    My nokia M1122 has an option to 'disable external administrative
    connections'
    Basically it stops port 80 and 23 (telnet) access from the WAN side and only
    from the LAN side.
    My router ignores this setting if I have mapped port 80 as it takes
    preference over mapped ports - yours may do in the opposite order.

    Other thing....
    Are you connecting to say 192.168.1.1 (adsl router ip) on port 80 expecting
    it to map the port to your other private ip?? My router ONLY does this from
    an external connection, in fact I can map external port 80 on my router to
    EITHER an internal or external ip and port, but not from an internal one.

    Hint...
    go to www.whatismyip.com and get a friend to try and connect from outside of
    your LAN (say dialup) and see if it works - you may be pleasantly surprised.

    -John

    "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > I've set up a sub-domain to point to a server on my network that's hosting

    > few web sites. DNS is working, but the router is putting up it's own
    > web-based configuration site instead of routing the incoming port 80
    > requests straight through.
    >
    > When I define a TCP mapping I can specify the public port and the private

    IP

    John Burns, Sep 9, 2003

  2. John Burns

    Alan Guest

    I tried looking for an option to disable the WAN configuration interface but
    it doesn't seem to have one. I moved the router's HTTP server to port 8080
    so the current config now allows requests to come in on port 80 from the
    Internet and these requests are forwarded to 192.168.0.21:8080 by the router
    (which is my internal web server). Now I'm getting 'page can't be displayed
    errors' even though the site is up though on my side of the router.

    Anyone know of a simple sniffer that I can use to see what's happening to
    the requests that are being forwarded by the router on port 80->8080?
    Just out of interest, is NAT on the router going to stuff with the host
    header i.e. is it still safe to use the host header to distinguish between
    multiple sites on my server (with the same IP addr and port).

    Thanks for the suggestions John.

    Cheers,

    Alan

    Alan, Sep 9, 2003