Re: Routing between two switches?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Pete Mainwaring, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Rob <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 30 Mar 2004 23:19:35 -0800, (Pete
    > Mainwaring) wrote:
    >

    > >If you want to keep broadcast traffic to a minimum on the fibre link,
    > >one way of doing it would be to create a VLAN that only exists on that
    > >link (using a /30 subnet). Traffic will then be routed between the
    > >other networks.
    > >
    > >Pete

    > That sounds like the best way. If I avoid trunking altogther, I
    > assume I could keep VLAN 1 on each switch without having to change
    > that. Share VLAN 3 between the two switches and each switch could
    > remain on VLAN 1. Yes?

    Yes, that should work ok. You will need to be careful with VTP as I
    assume you will have different IP networks allocated to VLAN 1 on
    either switch, and VLAN 1 will be split over the two switches. I think
    VTP Transparent should do the trick.

    Pete
    Pete Mainwaring, Apr 1, 2004