Re: router

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Nov 15, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    sf wrote:
    > I have a Netgear

    This is where you name/give the modelno of the netgear router.

    > Something happened the other day that required me to call the cable
    > company to help reset the modem because normal recycling didn't do it.

    When you reset the cable modem by powering it down, I would power down
    everything, cable modem, router, computers. Then I would rebuild the
    network by powering up the cable modem while watching its lights,
    powerup the router and watch its lights, and then powerup a wired
    computer and expect it to get a NAT address from the router.

    Then I would use the computer to view the router's configuration page
    and then the modem's configuration page.

    > We fixed that problem, but the router still wasn't working and we all
    > know the cable company won't help you if it's not their equipment.

    Correct; altho' some helpful cable techs can advise you about
    troubleshooting and network building if they have time.

    > It has to be the router - I've eliminated the computer, the modem and
    > cord connections. My problem is that although all the lights on the
    > router indicate it's working and the both the wireless and the desktop
    > (which is connected through a port) say they are connected to the
    > router/modem and the speed, there seems to be no viable signal... I
    > simply can't connect to the internet.

    That can happen if you didn't build your network in the correct order as
    described above.

    > I'm wondering if the place that
    > says "restore factory settings" is what I need to use. I don't see
    > any other place that could be a possibility to reset it.

    Maybe, but first I would do the powerdown powerup in order rebuild.

    > Here's something else that's totally weird. The computer is fine. It
    > worked yesterday with a friend's wireless router, but it doesn't
    > connect to the internet wirelessly or even when connected directly to
    > the modem with a cord at my house.

    Then how can you say that the modem is all right now?

    You have to be able to prove that the modem is all right with a direct
    hookup without the router.

    > Any help would be appreciated. TIA

    First prove that you have a working modem with a computer to modem
    connxn because the cableco is responsible for making that system work.

    Then after your cable modem will get a directly connected computer onto
    the internet, then you install your router and do the correct powerup

    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 15, 2010