Re: router

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bucky Breeder, Nov 15, 2010.

  1. sf <> via news::

    > Does this ng answer questions about wireless routers? I have a
    > Netgear that probably needs to be reset.
    >
    > Something happened the other day that required me to call the cable
    > company to help reset the modem because normal recycling didn't do it.
    > We fixed that problem, but the router still wasn't working and we all
    > know the cable company won't help you if it's not their equipment.
    >
    > It has to be the router - I've eliminated the computer, the modem and
    > cord connections. My problem is that although all the lights on the
    > router indicate it's working and the both the wireless and the desktop
    > (which is connected through a port) say they are connected to the
    > router/modem and the speed, there seems to be no viable signal... I
    > simply can't connect to the internet. I'm wondering if the place that
    > says "restore factory settings" is what I need to use. I don't see
    > any other place that could be a possibility to reset it.
    >
    > Here's something else that's totally weird. The computer is fine. It
    > worked yesterday with a friend's wireless router, but it doesn't
    > connect to the internet wirelessly or even when connected directly to
    > the modem with a cord at my house. I looked to see where to re-enter
    > a password for my network, but didn't see where that would be so I'm
    > clueless there... but I'm wondering if whatever problem it was the
    > other day erased my password in the wireless?
    >
    > If it turns out my router is hosed, do you have any recommendations
    > for a replacement? This one only lasted a year. My friend has an
    > "Airport" and recommends it. I'm a PC person, but my wireless
    > computer has no issues with his Mac equipment. I'm looking for
    > something with decent range that can send a signal through the lath
    > and plaster (probably lead painted) walls of an old house from one end
    > to the other and I'm hoping for a range of more than one level (which
    > would be nice, but is not absolutely necessary).
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. TIA

    Cost balanced against usage, I like Linksys; now Cisco.

    http://home.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and this free speech message
    was transmitted through the Draconian censorship blockades!

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20015629-71.html

    http://www.boingboing.net/Smoky_The_Nanobot.jpg

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 15, 2010