Re: Router / ZoneAlarm help request

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Stephen Worthington, Feb 23, 2009.

  1. On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:11:50 +1300, Reg <> wrote:

    >Thank you both for your response.
    >The gateway has two computers attached to it (both running XP).
    >A desktop has a wired attachment to an ethernet port.
    >A laptop has a wireless attachment.
    >Both computers access the internet fine.
    >I have tried unsuccessfully a few times to set up a network between
    >them. I wonder if this could account for the subnet masks?
    >
    >They are displayed in a drop down list from a combo box.
    >I have just found that I can select a mask from the list and it will
    >then be displayed in the box.
    >When I did this and selected other masks and then tried to save the
    >change I got warning messages as follows:
    >
    > 255.255.255.192
    >DHCP start IP is not the same subnet as LAN IP, please enter again.
    >DHCP start IP address range is invalid. Valid range is 1 to 62.
    >
    > 255.255.255.224
    >DHCP start IP is not the same subnet as LAN IP, please enter again.
    >DHCP start IP address range is invalid. Valid range is 1 to 30.
    >
    > 255.255.255.240
    >DHCP start IP is not the same subnet as LAN IP, please enter again.
    >DHCP start IP address range is invalid. Valid range is 1 to 14.
    >
    > 255.255.255.248
    >DHCP start IP is not the same subnet as LAN IP, please enter again.
    >DHCP start IP address range is invalid. Valid range is 1 to 6.
    >maximum number of DHCP users is invalid. Valid range is 1 to 3.
    >
    > 255.255.255.252
    >DHCP start IP is not the same subnet as LAN IP, please enter again.
    >DHCP start IP address range is invalid. Valid range is 1 to 2.
    >maximum number of DHCP users is invalid. Valid range is 1 to 3.
    >

    > 255.255.255.128
    >the change was allowed and a link to the internet was established ok
    >

    >My network Address Server Settings hold the values:
    >Starting IP address 192.168.1.100
    >Max number DHCP users 5
    >
    >I can sort of see what is happening here but would grateful if you
    >could explain it for me.
    >Should I perhaps try to delete all those masks that threw up the
    >warnings?
    >Do I need to keep the second mask?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Reg

    The only subnet mask you should need would be the one that matches
    what DHCP is sending to your PCs. I would delete all the subnet masks
    except 255.255.255.0 and save that - that is the one you should be
    running with. Then, if necessary, I would shutdown and reboot
    everything, including the router, so that everything is working with
    the proper settings.

    From your description of what you see, I am not sure that any of the
    other subnet masks were actually enabled until you tried saving them.
    The list you see may simply be a selection list showing all the
    possible subnet masks. However, the last subnet mask you tried
    (255.255.255.128) seems to have been saved, so that is probably what
    the router is using at the moment. So you will need to change back to
    255.255.255.0.

    When you say you have tried to set up a network between your PCs, what
    sort of network are you talking about? They should already be able to
    send TCP/IP packets to each other. You can test that using ping
    commands. Open a command prompt on each PC and type:

    ipconfig

    You should see each of the network adapters on the PC listed,
    including any virtual ones. One of them should be labeled "Local Area
    Connection #x", where x is some number, and it should have an IP
    address listed. That should be your ethernet adapter. First, on the
    same PC, type

    ping <ip_address>

    where the <ip_address> is the address of the ethernet adapter on that
    PC. Then try the same with the IP address of the ethernet adapter on
    other PC. Then swap over to the other PC and try the same again. In
    all cases, you should get a response that looks something like this:

    ping 10.0.2.1

    Pinging 10.0.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 10.0.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 10.0.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 10.0.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 10.0.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

    Ping statistics for 10.0.2.1:

    You should get four replies each time. If any of that does not work
    then there may be something fundamentally wrong and nothing else is
    going to work either. Or it may be that your firewall is preventing
    pings from working - look for options called "ping", "echo", "echo
    reply" or "ICMP" to enable in ZoneAlarm.

    You should also be able to ping the router on 192.168.1.1.

    Once you have verified that TCP/IP is working, then you can move on to
    working out how to get file sharing (SMB networking) operational
    between the PCs. Normally two XP boxes will be able to share files
    and directories quite easily, but again your firewall can prevent it
    from working. If sharing is enabled, then open Windows Explorer and
    right mouse button on a folder. There should be a menu item labeled
    "Share". If that is not present, then sharing needs to be enabled.
    Once that menu item is present, you use it to allow sharing of a
    folder (or an entire drive letter).
    Stephen Worthington, Feb 23, 2009