Re: router question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Whiskers, Jul 6, 2010.

  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-07-06, §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    > Does my linksys use the MAC address of my net-card to assign an IP for a
    > given length of time? Since I need to assign a static IP to make BeOS
    > work well given its dhcp issues can I make this permanent in the router?
    > (This is only an issue with pcmcia cards)
    > TIA
    > ^_^

    You can set the DHCP server to a long 'lease time', or you can allocate a
    static IP number to that particular NIC. Exactly what settings are
    possible varies from one router to another; you may not be able to specify
    a static IP for one NIC and still have dynamic allocations for others.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 6, 2010

  2. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-07-06, §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2010-07-06, §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    >>> Does my linksys use the MAC address of my net-card to assign an IP

    >> for a
    >>> given length of time? Since I need to assign a static IP to make

    >> BeOS
    >>> work well given its dhcp issues can I make this permanent in the

    >> router?
    >>> (This is only an issue with pcmcia cards)
    >>> TIA
    >>> ^_^

    >> You can set the DHCP server to a long 'lease time', or you can
    >> allocate a
    >> static IP number to that particular NIC. Exactly what settings are
    >> possible varies from one router to another; you may not be able to
    >> specify
    >> a static IP for one NIC and still have dynamic allocations for others.
    >>

    > From what the g00gle told me I should use an IP *outside* the range of
    > the block the router assigns by DHCP.

    Yes - if the router allows mixing of static and dynamic IPs.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 7, 2010

  3. Whiskers <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    >On 2010-07-06, §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:
    >>> for a
    >>> BeOS
    >>> router?
    >>>
    >>> You can set the DHCP server to a long 'lease time', or you can
    >>> allocate a
    >>> static IP number to that particular NIC. Exactly what settings are
    >>> possible varies from one router to another; you may not be able to
    >>> specify
    >>> a static IP for one NIC and still have dynamic allocations for

    others.

    >> From what the g00gle told me I should use an IP *outside* the range

    of
    >> the block the router assigns by DHCP.

    >Yes - if the router allows mixing of static and dynamic IPs.

    Its a linksys buisness model.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9929/

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 7, 2010