Re: router question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Mar 23, 2010.

  1. "Steve B" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Linksys wireless N router. Just how far do these things
    >broadcast?
    > I am using it with a Toshiba laptop, and from the living room, about forty
    > feet away, it is working weakly. Is that the walls between, all
    > sheetrock,
    > some plumbing? Something wrong with the system? I have one of those
    > tripod
    > receivers that goes in a PC. Can I get a USB adapter to use it on the
    > laptop?
    >
    > Steve

    You have a wireless-N router, but not wireless-N adaptors in the computers.

    Wireless N is the way to go, no doubt on that. But, the wireless-N adaptors
    in the computers will give you more than the wireless-N router. Since most
    new compouters these days will come with wireless-N, then the router you
    bought will last you a long time to come.

    I have Wireless-N adaptors in my computers, and I have one that's about 40
    feet from the router -- probably an 802.11g -- and it gets a signal very
    well.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 23, 2010

  2. "Steve B" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Steve B" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a Linksys wireless N router. Just how far do these things
    >>>broadcast?
    >>> I am using it with a Toshiba laptop, and from the living room, about
    >>> forty
    >>> feet away, it is working weakly. Is that the walls between, all
    >>> sheetrock,
    >>> some plumbing? Something wrong with the system? I have one of those
    >>> tripod
    >>> receivers that goes in a PC. Can I get a USB adapter to use it on the
    >>> laptop?
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>>

    >> You have a wireless-N router, but not wireless-N adaptors in the
    >> computers.
    >>
    >> Wireless N is the way to go, no doubt on that. But, the wireless-N
    >> adaptors in the computers will give you more than the wireless-N router.
    >> Since most new compouters these days will come with wireless-N, then the
    >> router you bought will last you a long time to come.
    >>
    >> I have Wireless-N adaptors in my computers, and I have one that's about
    >> 40 feet from the router -- probably an 802.11g -- and it gets a signal
    >> very well.

    > My Toshiba laptops were plumbed with wifi. One is one year old, the other
    > two years old. I believe they are N frequencies. Still, they are weak in
    > the other rooms.

    It's difficult for me to say, but they're likely not wireless-N if you are
    having problems. The N router can't hurt, but I found huge signal increases
    with N adaptors connected to a G router.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 24, 2010