Re: Router & PC think I'm connected but no internet....

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Dave Saville, Feb 8, 2014.

  1. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 10:34:07 UTC, "Endulini" <>
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to replace a Utility Warehouse wireless router with a spare
    > Huawei HG523a router, everything appears to set up correctly - all the
    > settings are matched as far as I can see. However, the router thinks I'm
    > connected to the internet, the computer thinks I'm connected to the internet
    > yet I'm unable to view anything.

    Maybe your ISP is looking for the old modem/router - MAC address may
    need spoofing.
    What does "thinks its connected" mean?
    Do you get an external IP for the router?
    Is the router getting DNS settings etc.
    Does the router produce a log and what does that say?
    What error messages are you seeing? On the router? On the PC?

    > There's obviously something I've not matched/configured correctly but I
    > can't find what it might be - any suggestions?

    Well yes :)

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Feb 8, 2014

  2. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 21:52:06 UTC, "Endulini" <>
    wrote:

    > I Googled spoofing the MAC address but none of the things I found made any
    > difference, what would your advice on how to do this be?
    >
    > When I said "it thinks it's connected" I meant the Network Centre in Windows
    > 7 thinks it's connected to the internet, the internet light is lit on the
    > router and also the web-admin console for the router says it's connected.
    >
    > Yes, I am getting an external IP although Chrome said it was unable to
    > resolve the DNS.
    >
    > The router log doesn't show anything obvious failing although again I did
    > notice in the console that it hadn't synchronised the time or date.
    >
    > The error messages are entirely in the browsers and mail clients, saying
    > they are unable to connect to the server (mail) or resolve the DNS (Chrome)
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    First thing is that whatever you are using to read/reply to the
    newsgroup is not stripping my sig. So that when read it in a "proper"
    newsreader and I try and reply it drops (correctly) everything after
    the "-- " line. ie everyting I quote above which I had to do manually.

    Some ISPs record the MAC address of the first thing that ever cannects
    to them. This, in times past, could just have been a PC, but is more
    like;ly to be a router. So if your ISP knew your PC MAC and you them
    changed to a router you needed to persuade the router to send the PC
    MAC rather than its own. Same thing if router1 was the first thing
    seen and you now have router 2. Not all routers allow one to spoof the
    MAC.

    I assume the router is set for DHCP on the WAN side? Is the IP you get
    one that seems likely to have been issued by your ISP?

    What is the PC set to with regards to DNS? Just because it may be
    using DHCP to get an address it needs to know if you also want DNS
    data.

    Is the new router on the same LAN address as the old?

    Can you ping *by address*? ie try pinging Google's DNS - ping 8.8.8.8.

    The "internet light" on the router is more likely to be an idication
    that there is an ADSL signal than it is actually connected to your
    ISP.

    HTH

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Feb 9, 2014

  3. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Sun, 9 Feb 2014 16:46:20 UTC, "Endulini" <>
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > The first thing it saw was the router that works, so maybe I'll have to work
    > out how to get my HG532 to spoof that MAC address (if I can).
    >
    > The IP address it's giving me looks to me like an ISP address - at least, an
    > internal network one I would expect to start 198.168.X.X but this starts
    > 2.101.X.X

    Some ISP's use private network addresses which is not good. :)

    > I can successfully ping 8.8.8.8 but the LAN address for the new router is
    > different from the old router.

    Then it's a DNS problem of some sort. If you can ping outside then the
    LAN addressing and routing is OK.

    > The PC is set to obtain the DNS server address automatically - which I
    > presume will be the LAN address of the router?

    Should be. You could try setting the PC to use 8.8.8.8 rather than
    getting it automatically. There is nothing to say you have to use your
    ISP's - Sometimes it is a good thing not to.

    Not something silly like the router blocking DNS in the firewall is
    it?

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville