Re: Ripped Off By AntiVirus 2009

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Nov 16, 2008.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 21:20:08 GMT, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:

    >AV 2009 is a rogue anti-spyware program. It attaches to some of your
    >web sites or is installed thru the use of misleading web sites that
    >make you think that your PC is infected with a variety of malware.
    >Once installed, AV 2009 scans your PC and lists a variety of
    >infections that can't be removed unless you purchase the software.
    >
    >Being stupid, I'm out $50 bucks charged to my VisaCC to remove fake
    >infections. Should've smelled a rat when the message said that Visa
    >was the preferred card to use. Never heard of something like that
    >before.
    >
    >After being ripped, I googled and got some freeware to remove all
    >traces of the rogue program. Too late for me, but some other stupid
    >dolt may learn from my experience.

    First time I saw that, I immediately checked my virus reports and made
    sure. I could not find any of the three they had listed.

    Many times these scammers will buy up dozens of domain names, and do
    nothing but trick search engines into thinking you've found a "hit".
    When you click on the link, you get whisked away to their home page
    and get screwed.

    If you use IE, you're more vulnerable because IE can be tricked into
    downloading and installing shit you are not aware of. I use firefox
    and don't have that problem.

    Not only contact your CC company but file a complaint with

    Do a system restore and use a good registry cleaner.

    richard, Nov 16, 2008