Re: Ringtones for cheap phones?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Aug 23, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter, Aug 23, 2010

  2. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jordan wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> The Nokia 1208 doesn't have much in the way of data ports, but you can
    >> send ringtones to it

    > Thank you.

    YW.

    > Do you mean that I can send ringtones to it, in a phone call?

    The easiest way is with the techniques and technology at such a website
    if you would be so inclined, see below.

    > Those websites don't seem to show how it's done.

    Your stupid Nokia phone's manual tells you absolutely nothing about the
    subject. The idea is to 'create' the technology (which websites will do
    for you) to send the ringtone polyphonic data to the phone by SMS.

    So, you go to a site, hopefully not a bad/evil one - because there are
    lots and lots of sites whose purpose is to scam you over the ringtone
    trick - and at the good site you find a ringtone that you like that is
    appropriate for your Nokia, the polyphonic.

    So you download that data.

    Then you find a site which is able to transmit the data via your cell
    provider over SMS.

    Alternatively there are sites which wrap it up into one big enchilada
    where you find and choose a ringtone and the site sends it to your phone
    via your provider over SMS and you somehow figure out how to take the
    SMS ringtone data you so received and put it into your phone's ringtone
    options.

    Since the Nokia manual doesn't want to tell me about this and since the
    websites with the ringtones don't want to tell me the details about this
    (just 'do it') and since the nokia support webforum admins/support techs
    don't want to tell me about this and since if it were my phone I would
    find a ringtone in its database and use that and if there were only one
    I would use /that/ one and since there is a danger of being scammed in
    your effort to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, namely your
    primitive phone, my recommendation is to...

    .... not do it.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 23, 2010