Re: Rilly Xbuntu? Its soul crushingly hard to get a decent system.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SηuhW∅ζƒ, Oct 13, 2009.

  1. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:47:24 -0600, ???hw??f
    > <>wrote:

    >>> I'm back with Mepis 7.
    >>> But X is slow. Heres my xorg.conf file...the card is a ATI Mobility Radeon
    >>> 9000 R250...but it looks like its using some generic vesa thingy :(

    >> [quoted text:
    >>
    >> Section "Device"
    >> Identifier "Card0"
    >> Driver "radeon"
    >> BoardName "unknown"
    >>
    >> It's using the Radeon driver so it's not using a "generic vesa thingy"
    >> Maybe the Radeon drive has to be more specific as in Radeon Mobility
    >> as xorg doesn't know the specific "board" so as far as it is concerned
    >> it could be any Radeon board which isn't correct and will affect
    >> graphics and display acceleration.
    >>
    >> If it's slow you have no GL or GLX. Look here for clues, Noob.
    >>
    >> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
    >>
    >> And go to xorg's website and snoop around for the Mobility specific
    >> driver. Load up Belarc and figure out which exact chipset it is and
    >> the PCI bus location.
    >> [end of quoted text]
    >>
    >> Yeah well **** it. Mepis has some weird security issue. It kept trying to run
    >> all these background processes and was connecting to sites. When no apps were
    >> open. Ok, not apt update either, to anticipate your suggestion. It attaches to
    >> some ports that have little info about them and was downloading stuff when
    >> nothing should be going on. So, AFIAK, Mepis has some buil-in spyware issue.
    >> So I tried to install Puppy and now it gives me a kernel panic error.
    >> LULZ! Its Always Something. Hey, that could be a linux slogan :)
    >>
    >> Word.
    >>
    >> ^_^

    > You'll never get decent video acceleration for 2D apps unless the
    > correct kernel driver gets installed. If it's an xorg thing you'll
    > have to experiment with it before you do anything else so if you break
    > shit you didn't lose anything but a basic install. I've done this so
    > many times with graphics adaptors that weren't completely supported
    > natively I can't count them, Especially when the install doesn't pick
    > up the correct device.

    I kept at it and got puppy installed ok. had to format the partition to
    get rid of the Mepis debris.
    Grfx acceleration is now where it should be.

    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    http://www.ramusa.org/
    Cash for *who*?
    http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/
    SηuhW∅ζƒ, Oct 13, 2009

  2. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 20:40:07 -0000, S?uhW???
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> You'll never get decent video acceleration for 2D apps unless the
    >>> correct kernel driver gets installed. If it's an xorg thing you'll
    >>> have to experiment with it before you do anything else so if you break
    >>> shit you didn't lose anything but a basic install. I've done this so
    >>> many times with graphics adaptors that weren't completely supported
    >>> natively I can't count them, Especially when the install doesn't pick
    >>> up the correct device.

    >> I kept at it and got puppy installed ok. had to format the partition to
    >> get rid of the Mepis debris.
    >> Grfx acceleration is now where it should be.

    > Sounds like Grub (chainloader) got bootfucked and couldn't find the
    > right kernel image (vmlinuz) ? (per yer kernel panic poast).
    >
    > noob

    Its not very stable...it hangs sometimes at starting X...sure its fast
    but its flakey.
    :(

    SηuhW∅ζƒ, Oct 14, 2009

  3. In message <>, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:31:05 -0000, S?uhW???
    > <>wrote:
    >
    > >Meat Plow wrote:

    > Radeon

    > trying to run

    > apps were

    > attaches to

    > when

    > issue.

    > >> Sounds like Grub (chainloader) got bootfucked and couldn't find the
    > >> right kernel image (vmlinuz) ? (per yer kernel panic poast).
    > >>
    > >> noob
    > >>

    > >Its not very stable...it hangs sometimes at starting X...sure its fast
    > >but its flakey.
    > :mad:

    > Well you got what you got I spose. I don't recall ever using a distro
    > of Linux where I didn't find some kind of bug, some more of a nuisance
    > than a calamity worth reporting.

    Its prolly for the best. It forces you to learn much like an unreliable car
    will make you into a decent mechanic.
    I added 'swapon /mnt/swap' to some init file in the /etc/ folder to try and
    force puppy to utilize the swap file but when I do 'free' it shows the swap
    file but its bloody empty! Whats up with that?

    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 14, 2009
  4. SηuhW∅ζƒ

    S?uhW??ƒ Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 16:34:21 -0600, ???hw??f
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Radeon

    >>> trying to run
    >>> apps were
    >>> attaches to
    >>> when
    >>> issue.

    >>> Well you got what you got I spose. I don't recall ever using a distro
    >>> of Linux where I didn't find some kind of bug, some more of a nuisance
    >>> than a calamity worth reporting.

    >> Its prolly for the best. It forces you to learn much like an unreliable car
    >> will make you into a decent mechanic.
    >> I added 'swapon /mnt/swap' to some init file in the /etc/ folder to try and
    >> force puppy to utilize the swap file but when I do 'free' it shows the swap
    >> file but its bloody empty! Whats up with that?

    > Shouldn't have to mount the swap file manually. It's been an integral
    > part of ever flavor of linux I've ever dicked around with. Do you even
    > have a swap partition? You need at least two partitons. A Primary and
    > a Swap unless you swap to a file in your primary partition.

    Puppy does some weird thing where if there isnt an actual swap partiton
    it will make 'pupswap.swp' file in the root partition.
    But I have a real swapfile. It sees it, its just not using it.

    > Have a look here, this may help.
    >
    > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Partition/#swapfiles

    Yay! More readingz.

    S?uhW??ƒ, Oct 15, 2009
  5. SηuhW∅ζƒ

    S?uhW??ƒ Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    [trimmed]

    > Shouldn't have to mount the swap file manually. It's been an integral
    > part of ever flavor of linux I've ever dicked around with. Do you even
    > have a swap partition? You need at least two partitons. A Primary and
    > a Swap unless you swap to a file in your primary partition.
    >
    > Have a look here, this may help.
    >
    > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Partition/#swapfiles

    Ok, heres my fstab...looks like I have *no* swap partition listed.
    It also shows a fd0 which isnt present...hmmmm...
    /dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 0 1
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=2,mode=620 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,rw 0 0

    Suggestions? The drive is partitioned visually like this
    |primary|swap|secondary|
    So the first section is hda1, the second I guess is hda2, and the last
    is hda3, which I know since I can mount hda3 and its got files in it.
    I notice that hda3 isnt mounted aoutmagically at boot either.

    S?uhW??ƒ, Oct 15, 2009
  6. In message <>, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:56:57 -0000, S?uhW???
    > <>wrote:
    >
    > >Meat Plow wrote:
    > >[trimmed]
    > >>
    > >> Shouldn't have to mount the swap file manually. It's been an integral
    > >> part of ever flavor of linux I've ever dicked around with. Do you even
    > >> have a swap partition? You need at least two partitons. A Primary and
    > >> a Swap unless you swap to a file in your primary partition.
    > >>
    > >> Have a look here, this may help.
    > >>
    > >> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Partition/#swapfiles

    > >Ok, heres my fstab...looks like I have *no* swap partition listed.
    > >It also shows a fd0 which isnt present...hmmmm...
    > >/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 0 1
    > >none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    > >none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    > >none /dev/pts devpts gid=2,mode=620 0 0
    > >/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,rw 0 0
    > >
    > >Suggestions? The drive is partitioned visually like this
    > >|primary|swap|secondary|
    > >So the first section is hda1, the second I guess is hda2, and the last
    > >is hda3, which I know since I can mount hda3 and its got files in it.
    > >I notice that hda3 isnt mounted aoutmagically at boot either.

    > Man mount
    >
    > http://linux.die.net/man/8/mount

    No, man **** linux. I got tired of having puppy boot and not see the sound
    card, or the wifi card or just hang...and this is an installed system...so I
    figured hey, why not try Vector linux since it was pretty good a few years ago
    when I had v 4.3 installed on a previous lappy.
    So I burned the disk with my moms Vista lappy (very easy btw) and installed
    Vector 6 V-Lite...ok, I can hand config x if I need to...ok I can try and get
    wifi working. Funny, it never auto starts. Funny, the firewall hangs at
    shutdown.
    Funny, some guy posted about all this on their FORUM. IN MAY. FIVE MONTHS AGO.
    Fuckin a linux. IS this really the best you can do?
    Seriously.

    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 16, 2009
  7. SηuhW∅ζƒ

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:29:38 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    > In message <>, Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:56:57 -0000, S?uhW???
    >> <>wrote:
    >>
    >> >Meat Plow wrote:
    >> >[trimmed]

    >> >Ok, heres my fstab...looks like I have *no* swap partition listed. It
    >> >also shows a fd0 which isnt present...hmmmm... /dev/hda1 /
    >> > ext3 defaults 0 1 none /proc proc
    >> > defaults 0 0 none /sys sysfs
    >> >defaults 0 0 none /dev/pts devpts
    >> >gid=2,mode=620 0 0 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
    >> >noauto,rw 0 0
    >> >
    >> >Suggestions? The drive is partitioned visually like this
    >> >|primary|swap|secondary|
    >> >So the first section is hda1, the second I guess is hda2, and the last
    >> >is hda3, which I know since I can mount hda3 and its got files in it.
    >> >I notice that hda3 isnt mounted aoutmagically at boot either.

    >> Man mount
    >>
    >> http://linux.die.net/man/8/mount

    > No, man **** linux. I got tired of having puppy boot and not see the
    > sound card, or the wifi card or just hang...and this is an installed
    > system...so I figured hey, why not try Vector linux since it was pretty
    > good a few years ago when I had v 4.3 installed on a previous lappy. So
    > I burned the disk with my moms Vista lappy (very easy btw) and installed
    > Vector 6 V-Lite...ok, I can hand config x if I need to...ok I can try
    > and get wifi working. Funny, it never auto starts. Funny, the firewall
    > hangs at shutdown.
    > Funny, some guy posted about all this on their FORUM. IN MAY. FIVE
    > MONTHS AGO. Fuckin a linux. IS this really the best you can do?
    > Seriously.

    No, that isn't the best that Linux can do. Try a major distribution.
    ray, Oct 16, 2009
  8. ray wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:29:38 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Man mount
    >>>
    >>> http://linux.die.net/man/8/mount

    >> No, man **** linux. I got tired of having puppy boot and not see the
    >> sound card, or the wifi card or just hang...and this is an installed
    >> system...so I figured hey, why not try Vector linux since it was pretty
    >> good a few years ago when I had v 4.3 installed on a previous lappy. So
    >> I burned the disk with my moms Vista lappy (very easy btw) and installed
    >> Vector 6 V-Lite...ok, I can hand config x if I need to...ok I can try
    >> and get wifi working. Funny, it never auto starts. Funny, the firewall
    >> hangs at shutdown.
    >> Funny, some guy posted about all this on their FORUM. IN MAY. FIVE
    >> MONTHS AGO. Fuckin a linux. IS this really the best you can do?
    >> Seriously.

    > No, that isn't the best that Linux can do. Try a major distribution.

    Define "major". Only ubuntu or fedora?
    S∩∪hW0ζƒ, Oct 16, 2009
  9. SηuhW∅ζƒ

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 20:25:47 +0000, S∩∪hW0ζƒ wrote:

    > ray wrote:

    >>> No, man **** linux. I got tired of having puppy boot and not see the
    >>> sound card, or the wifi card or just hang...and this is an installed
    >>> system...so I figured hey, why not try Vector linux since it was
    >>> pretty good a few years ago when I had v 4.3 installed on a previous
    >>> lappy. So I burned the disk with my moms Vista lappy (very easy btw)
    >>> and installed Vector 6 V-Lite...ok, I can hand config x if I need
    >>> to...ok I can try and get wifi working. Funny, it never auto starts.
    >>> Funny, the firewall hangs at shutdown.
    >>> Funny, some guy posted about all this on their FORUM. IN MAY. FIVE
    >>> MONTHS AGO. Fuckin a linux. IS this really the best you can do?
    >>> Seriously.

    >> No, that isn't the best that Linux can do. Try a major distribution.

    > Define "major". Only ubuntu or fedora?

    Pick anything out of the top ten at distrowatch.
    ray, Oct 16, 2009
  10. In message <hbalvu$eqc$>, Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > S∩∪hW0ζƒ wrote:
    >
    > > ray wrote:
    > >>
    > >> No, that isn't the best that Linux can do. Try a major distribution.

    > > Define "major". Only ubuntu or fedora?

    > Major... like you are a major idiot.

    Nice IKY, Pee Wee.

    > Or that your posts are a major waste of
    > time.

    I COMMAND YOU TO REPSOND TOo MY POASTS!

    > I'd suggest that you look at distro watch and pick a distro that's not so
    > experimental but that would take away your ability to whine... which is why
    > you're here.

    Thats pretty funny. Vector has been around a log time and its *slackware*
    based. My gripe, which is legitimate, is theres a *known* bug in the firewall
    they include on their V-Lite distro. Its still not patched.

    > Find a new hobby.

    You're my new hobby, bitch :)

    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 17, 2009
  11. In message <>, Andy wrote:
    > S∩∪hW0ζƒ wrote:
    >
    > > ray wrote:

    > >> No, that isn't the best that Linux can do. Try a major distribution.

    > > Define "major". Only ubuntu or fedora?

    > Ubuntu and Fedora are basically at the stage where everything 'just
    > works'.
    >
    > Otherwise there's OpenSuse, Mandriva, Mepis, Debian, CentOS....
    >
    > Take a look at Distrowatch, and stop fucking about with half-baked
    > experimental/not supported/not suitable distributions and get back to
    > using your computer.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Andy.

    Wise words to be sure Andy. I decided to leave the internal drive unscathed and
    sacrifice a flash/usb drive instead. Its got the latest version of puppy on it
    and all seems to be working fine........

    for *now*.

    0_o

    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 17, 2009