Re: Ricoh ditches the moire filter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kevin McMurtrie, Aug 6, 2011.

  1. Kevin McMurtrie, Aug 6, 2011

  2. Kevin McMurtrie

    Eric Miller Guest

    On 8/6/2011 2:39 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article<4e3cd76c$0$2134$>, Kevin McMurtrie
    > says...
    >>> http://dpreview.com/news/1108/11080510ricohmmountpreview.asp

    >> It makes sense. Most people don't buy lenses that need an AA filter at
    >> 12MP.

    > But the characteristics of the lens this Ricoh module is using are not
    > clear. One can only hope that the lens itself sufficiently reduces the
    > spatial frequencies above Nyquist.

    It's an interchangeable lens mount. Are you talking about the lens used
    in the preview?

    Eric Miller, Aug 7, 2011

  3. Kevin McMurtrie

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 22:29:22 -0700, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    : Eric Miller wrote:
    : > On 8/6/2011 2:39 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    : >> In article<4e3cd76c$0$2134$>, Kevin McMurtrie
    : >> says...
    : >>>> http://dpreview.com/news/1108/11080510ricohmmountpreview.asp
    : >>>
    : >>> It makes sense. Most people don't buy lenses that need an AA filter at
    : >>> 12MP.
    : >>
    : >> But the characteristics of the lens this Ricoh module is using are not
    : >> clear. One can only hope that the lens itself sufficiently reduces the
    : >> spatial frequencies above Nyquist.
    : >
    : > It's an interchangeable lens mount. Are you talking about the lens used
    : > in the preview?
    :
    : Interchangeable lens+sensor+processor.

    And is the lens separately interchangeable from the rest of the unit? There
    seemed to be an implication that there's more of a lens selection than would
    be the case if it weren't.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 7, 2011
  4. Kevin McMurtrie

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 14:02:36 +0200, Alfred Molon <>
    wrote:
    : In article <>, Robert Coe
    : says...
    :
    : > And is the lens separately interchangeable from the rest of the unit?
    :
    : No, it's a module with lens, sensor and some electronics. That is
    : interchangeable.

    Then how does it accommodate "a wide range of M-mount lenses"?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 7, 2011
  5. Kevin McMurtrie

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 10:43:07 -0700, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    : Savageduck wrote:
    : > On 2011-08-07 05:02:36 -0700, Alfred Molon <> said:
    : >
    : >> In article <>, Robert Coe
    : >> says...
    : >>
    : >>> And is the lens separately interchangeable from the rest of the unit?
    : >>
    : >> No, it's a module with lens, sensor and some electronics. That is
    : >> interchangeable.
    : >
    : > Actually it is an "M-Mount unit" for the modular GXE camera system
    : > consisting of mount + 12MP APC-S sensor + electronics. The lens is
    : > interchangeable, and so is the mount module.
    : >
    : > The module itself does not come with a lens.
    :
    : So there would be various modules for ultrawide, tele, etc. Maybe one
    : with antialiasing filter, another without...?

    The road they'd seem to be heading down might lead to a different module for
    each type of mount: Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus, etc. By that reasoning, one
    might surmise that the announced Leica-compatible mount has no anti-aliasing
    filter because at least some high-end Leicas don't either.

    I don't see a prism, so I assume this is a mirrorless camera. Or does even
    that depend on the specific module in use?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 7, 2011
  6. Kevin McMurtrie

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 10:43:07 -0700, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    >: Savageduck wrote:
    >: > On 2011-08-07 05:02:36 -0700, Alfred Molon <> said:
    >: >
    >: >> In article <>, Robert Coe
    >: >> says...
    >: >>
    >: >>> And is the lens separately interchangeable from the rest of the unit?
    >: >>
    >: >> No, it's a module with lens, sensor and some electronics. That is
    >: >> interchangeable.
    >: >
    >: > Actually it is an "M-Mount unit" for the modular GXE camera system
    >: > consisting of mount + 12MP APC-S sensor + electronics. The lens is
    >: > interchangeable, and so is the mount module.
    >: >
    >: > The module itself does not come with a lens.
    >:
    >: So there would be various modules for ultrawide, tele, etc. Maybe one
    >: with antialiasing filter, another without...?
    >
    >The road they'd seem to be heading down might lead to a different module for
    >each type of mount: Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus, etc. By that reasoning, one
    >might surmise that the announced Leica-compatible mount has no anti-aliasing
    >filter because at least some high-end Leicas don't either.
    >
    >I don't see a prism, so I assume this is a mirrorless camera. Or does even
    >that depend on the specific module in use?

    This M-mount module turns the GXE base into a compact system camera
    (mirrorless) with a Leica M mount. It does not come with a lens. It
    will mount any lens with Leica M mount and a wide variety of other
    lenses via an M mount adapter.

    For example, I have a Pentax K to Leica M adapter which allows me to
    use Pentax K lenses on my M mount bodies. I could therefore use my M
    mount and Pentax K mount lenses on a Ricoh GXE. If I purchased other
    [name your mount] to Leica M adapters I could use a very wide range of
    lenses on the GXE.

    The 12 MP sensor is made by Sony and is apparently closely related to
    the sensors in the Leica X1, Fujifilm X100 and Nikon D300(s).

    The GXE M module will be an answer to the prayers of many Leica users
    who want to shoot digital but cannot afford an M9 body, don't want the
    hassle of an M8 or M8.2, and aren't aware of, cannot find, or won't
    tolerate the problems with a used Epson R-D1, which was the only other
    non-Leica digital body with an M mount.

    Bruce, Aug 7, 2011