Re: Restore XP Home From Disk

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Breedo, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. Breedo

    Breedo Guest

    Why not just clean up the viruses and spyware and put some protection on the
    computer? The time spent doing this won't be much more than reinstalling
    Windows. Besides, if he's picked up all these viruses and spyware, he'll
    just get them again once you do the reinstall. (Of course, you may have
    other reasons for doing the reinstall)

    A combination of freeware programs can do an excellent job in cleaning and
    protecting his computer. AVG offers a very good free antivirus program, and
    a combination of CWShredder, Spybot, and Adaware will remove most spyware.

    "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a customer's computer that is riddled with viruses and spyware. I
    > want to reinstall Windows, but the XP disk did not come along with the
    > computer.
    >
    > The brand name is Value DVPR Matrix, or something like that. I believe

    that
    > they're affiliated with Best Buy.
    >
    > I called the local Best Buy, and have been told that an XP disk does not
    > come along with this brand computer, and that there are only restore files
    > on either a separate partition on the hard drive (there is none), or that
    > there is a restore CD that came along with the computer.
    >
    > My customer does not have a good handle on all of his disks, and there is
    > also a bit of a language barrier. It's unlikely that he'll be able to
    > locate this restore disk, if it exists.
    >
    > I know that if I try hard enough, and long enough, I'll be able to track
    > down an XP Home Edition disk, but this is getting to be a pain, already,

    and
    > I just want to be done with it.
    >
    > Has anyone been up against this restore deal? I'm tempted to tell the
    > customer that the only way to work with this is to buy a new XP Home

    edition

    Breedo, Jan 20, 2005

  2. Breedo

    Guest

    Find a copy of XP Home, OEM version. Buy it, borrow your friends,
    download it from IRC, what ever.

    Install it. When asked for a key, type in that nice 20 digit number on
    that nice shiny sticker thats pasted on the side of the case.

    If you have a problem activating it (you shouldnt), call the MS 800
    number, tell them you reinstalled the OS and that its on one computer
    only.

    Nice, painless and legal.
    , Jan 21, 2005

  3. Breedo

    Guest

    Email me at yeti at yetiland dot dyndns dot org

    I'll see what I can do for you.
    XP Home OEM?

    I should have a copy at work.
    , Jan 21, 2005
  4. "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    >I already spent a signifigant amount of time cleaning up the spyware, and
    > viruses. The system had 80,000 instances of spyware, and 167 viruses. It
    > won't connect to the Internet; I'm now inclined to believe that it's
    > hosed,
    > and it's time for a reformat/re-install, anyway.

    The broken internet problem might be fixed with a little utility called
    LSPFix. It does sound like this computer was completely hosed though.
    About 95% of the time I've been able to "bring back" computers that seemed
    to be on life support because of spyware/adware/viruses, but occasionally
    there is the system that just can't be saved without a clean re-install.
    Patrick Michael, Jan 21, 2005
  5. Breedo

    Jack Guest

    Another good utility for fixing the internet connection is winsockxpfix .
    Nice little free utility that rebuilds the tcp/ip stack.

    Jack, Jan 21, 2005