Re: Resolution to Scan Slides?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BusyBee, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. BusyBee

    BusyBee Guest

    "Wildey Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > I am scanning sides for the first time with an Epson 2400 into the PSD
    > format. My intent is to process and view the images on a 1024 wide pixel
    > flat screen. I am setting the output image(from the scanner) at a with of
    > 1023 pixels. Is this the best procedure or should I specify a larger

    output
    > image and resize after processing? What is the best resolution to set for
    > scanning the slide? What processing (if any) should be done by the

    scanner?
    > Does scanner processing do more or less damage than PhotoShop Elements 2?
    > It would be great if there is an automated adjustment that would produce

    an
    > image equal to that on the slide.
    >
    > Thanks for you help,
    >
    > Wildey Johnson - Sarasota, FL

    I too have just bought the Epson 2400 and have tried scanning slides at the
    maximum optical resolution of 2400 and saving as a tif, correcting the
    images with Elements 2 then saving as a psd prior to printing. I have been
    told to scan only with the scanner and leave image editing to (Photoshop)
    Elements 2. The results are quite reasonable when printed at 8 x 10 on good
    photo paper. For screen viewing only I would still scan at maximum optical
    resolution then resample down to 72ppi with pixel dimensions to suit my
    screen res of 1024 which would be around a 1000 wide.
    HTH

    BusyBee, Jul 24, 2003