Re: Resetting a Switch to Factory Settings

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bod43, Nov 7, 2008.

  1. bod43

    bod43 Guest

    On 6 Nov, 09:12, "K" <> wrote:
    > I have a couple of 2900 series switches which we have inherited and need to
    > set them back to factory settings so I can start from clean with them.
    >
    > Is there an easy way of doing this?

    In all cases you need a console cable.

    If they are 2950 or (2960 - these are the current model.)
    Not -XL at the end.

    You need to -
    connect up console
    log in if necessary
    go to enable mode with the "enable" commmand
    "write erase" - this is the old command and there is a
    more descripitvely named one as well.
    but I dont know what it is.
    "reload" - or just switch off

    Was there a 2900XL series? If it is one of these then the above
    may work or it may be different. I forget.

    If there are passwords and you dont know them
    you will have to do password recovery first.
    Search the cisco web site for the words

    "model-no" password recovery

    This should turn up the correct document.
    bod43, Nov 7, 2008

  2. bod43

    Bob Vaughan Guest

    In article <>,
    bod43 <> wrote:
    >On 6 Nov, 09:12, "K" <> wrote:
    >> I have a couple of 2900 series switches which we have inherited and need to
    >> set them back to factory settings so I can start from clean with them.
    >>
    >> Is there an easy way of doing this?

    >In all cases you need a console cable.
    >
    >If they are 2950 or (2960 - these are the current model.)
    >Not -XL at the end.
    >
    >You need to -
    >connect up console
    >log in if necessary
    >go to enable mode with the "enable" commmand
    >"write erase" - this is the old command and there is a
    > more descripitvely named one as well.
    > but I dont know what it is.

    erase startup-config

    also, delete flash:/vlan.dat to clear the vlan database.

    This should work with most, if not all, of the IOS based switches.

    >"reload" - or just switch off
    >
    >Was there a 2900XL series? If it is one of these then the above
    >may work or it may be different. I forget.

    yes. the same procedure should work.

    >If there are passwords and you dont know them
    >you will have to do password recovery first.
    >Search the cisco web site for the words
    >
    >"model-no" password recovery
    >
    >This should turn up the correct document.

    Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
    | P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
    -- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
    Bob Vaughan, Nov 9, 2008