Re: Reprogram microphone port?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by SteveM, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. SteveM

    SteveM Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in

    > I have a C-Media 8738 6-Channel onboard sound chip. When configured in
    > 6-Channel mode, the microphone port acts as a speaker. Does anybody
    > know if I can stay in normal mode and have the microphone port act as
    > a speaker out as well?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Stuart

    Your motherboard should have the ability to accept some extra audio
    headers for the rear and sub/centre speakers. (My Gigabte board does)

    You can then run the sound in any "mode" (Stereo, 4 way, 5.1) you choose
    and still have the line-in and mic connectors free for their intended
    use.

    Have a chat to your reseller or look on the MB manufacturers website for
    optional cables etc...

    SteveM
    SteveM, Aug 19, 2003

  2. "SteveM" <> wrote in message
    > "Stuart" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I have a C-Media 8738 6-Channel onboard sound chip. When configured in
    > > 6-Channel mode, the microphone port acts as a speaker. Does anybody
    > > know if I can stay in normal mode and have the microphone port act as
    > > a speaker out as well?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Stuart
    > >

    > Your motherboard should have the ability to accept some extra audio
    > headers for the rear and sub/centre speakers. (My Gigabte board does)
    >
    > You can then run the sound in any "mode" (Stereo, 4 way, 5.1) you choose
    > and still have the line-in and mic connectors free for their intended
    > use.
    >
    > Have a chat to your reseller or look on the MB manufacturers website for
    > optional cables etc...
    >
    > SteveM

    There's no need for a header on the Asus boards using this chip.
    If you want 6 channel, you set it in the mixer software and plug the
    bass/centre connector into the mic jack.

    Russell
    Russell Smithies, Aug 20, 2003

  3. SteveM

    Richard Guest

    > There's no need for a header on the Asus boards using this chip.
    > If you want 6 channel, you set it in the mixer software and plug the
    > bass/centre connector into the mic jack.

    Big problem with this method is the bias voltage for the mic when its in mic
    mode makes a loud thump as the machine boots.

    I hate how my shuttle machine has no ability to have a line in on it, even
    tho the socket is blue (line in colour) its an output only.
    Richard, Aug 20, 2003
  4. On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:34:40 +1200, "Richard" <> wrote:

    >> There's no need for a header on the Asus boards using this chip.
    >> If you want 6 channel, you set it in the mixer software and plug the
    >> bass/centre connector into the mic jack.

    >Big problem with this method is the bias voltage for the mic when its in mic
    >mode makes a loud thump as the machine boots.
    >
    >I hate how my shuttle machine has no ability to have a line in on it, even
    >tho the socket is blue (line in colour) its an output only.

    Fit a decent Audio card..
    Robert Mathews, Aug 20, 2003
  5. "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > > There's no need for a header on the Asus boards using this chip.
    > > If you want 6 channel, you set it in the mixer software and plug the
    > > bass/centre connector into the mic jack.

    > Big problem with this method is the bias voltage for the mic when its in

    mic
    > mode makes a loud thump as the machine boots.
    >
    > I hate how my shuttle machine has no ability to have a line in on it, even
    > tho the socket is blue (line in colour) its an output only.

    is that what that noise is :)

    Russell
    Russell Smithies, Aug 20, 2003
  6. SteveM

    SteveM Guest

    "Russell Smithies" <> wrote in

    > "SteveM" <> wrote in message
    >> "Stuart" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I have a C-Media 8738 6-Channel onboard sound chip. When configured

    in
    >> > 6-Channel mode, the microphone port acts as a speaker. Does anybody
    >> > know if I can stay in normal mode and have the microphone port act

    as
    >> > a speaker out as well?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Stuart
    >> >

    >> Your motherboard should have the ability to accept some extra audio
    >> headers for the rear and sub/centre speakers. (My Gigabte board does)
    >>
    >> You can then run the sound in any "mode" (Stereo, 4 way, 5.1) you

    choose
    >> and still have the line-in and mic connectors free for their intended
    >> use.
    >>
    >> Have a chat to your reseller or look on the MB manufacturers website

    for
    >> optional cables etc...
    >>
    >> SteveM

    > There's no need for a header on the Asus boards using this chip.
    > If you want 6 channel, you set it in the mixer software and plug the
    > bass/centre connector into the mic jack.
    >
    > Russell

    I think the idea the OP wanted was to be able to use the Mic input while
    running the sound in 4 way surround or above. My solution covers this
    requirement.

    SteveM
    SteveM, Aug 20, 2003