Re: replacing laptop cpu

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Jul 29, 2008.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:35:51 +1200, Puddle wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone in here ever tried upgrading a laptop cpu? I am not worried
    > about voiding the warranty etc, the laptop I am thinking about upgrading
    > currently has a t5550 and I would love to put in a t8100 or even
    > something in the t7xxx range. The motherboard has the gm965 chipset so
    > should be fine with a t8100...
    >
    > There doesn't seem to be too much talk about this on the web I assume
    > just because it is more difficult than upgrading a desktop and also
    > warranty issues etc but if anyone has any advise would be appreciated..
    >
    > Cheers!

    If you're comfortable pulling to bits a desktop PC you'll have no problem
    with pulling to bits a laptop. The major difference is that you have to
    disassemble/reassemble a laptop in the specific order laid out in the
    model-specific disassembly manual (which you can usually google for).
    Don't just start unscrewing screws willy-nilly or things will turn to
    custard really quickly.

    A good place to start looking for a service manual is...
    http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/category/laptop-service-manual/

    CPU's are usually at the end of the disassembly chain so by the time you
    finally reach it you normally have the entire laptop in pieces. Good fun
    on a rainy day.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Jul 29, 2008

  2. Lodi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    > Lodi wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:35:51 +1200, Puddle wrote:

    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone in here ever tried upgrading a laptop cpu? I am not
    >>> worried about voiding the warranty etc, the laptop I am thinking
    >>> about upgrading currently has a t5550 and I would love to put in a
    >>> t8100 or even something in the t7xxx range. The motherboard has
    >>> the gm965 chipset so should be fine with a t8100...
    >>>
    >>> There doesn't seem to be too much talk about this on the web I
    >>> assume just because it is more difficult than upgrading a desktop
    >>> and also warranty issues etc but if anyone has any advise would be
    >>> appreciated.. Cheers!

    >> If you're comfortable pulling to bits a desktop PC you'll have no
    >> problem with pulling to bits a laptop. The major difference is that
    >> you have to disassemble/reassemble a laptop in the specific order
    >> laid out in the model-specific disassembly manual (which you can
    >> usually google for). Don't just start unscrewing screws willy-nilly
    >> or things will turn to custard really quickly.
    >>
    >> A good place to start looking for a service manual is...
    >> http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/category/laptop-service-manual/
    >>
    >> CPU's are usually at the end of the disassembly chain so by the time
    >> you finally reach it you normally have the entire laptop in pieces.
    >> Good fun on a rainy day.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Lodi
    >>

    > I can think of better things to do on a rainy day...
    >
    > ;]
    >
    > I dis-assembled and re-assembled a p100 laptop once, I never ever want
    > to do a laptop again....horrid things....

    Hehee! I've done a few too, not in a hurry to do it again.

    Also, some laptops don't have removable CPUs, they're soldered onto the
    mobo. (Or at least that used to be the case...)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 29, 2008