Re: Replacement for PIX 515E?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Andrey Tarasov, May 21, 2009.

  1. just bob wrote:
    > The PIX 515E with DMZ has been good to us but it is getting a bit long in
    > the tooth. We do not need the DMZ and we do not need failover. Just need to
    > do Cisco client VPN and Point to point VPN. Inside clients number less than
    > 100, and we are currently not running any public websites. Just want to be
    > able to run a good solid GUI (ASDM 7?) and fast processor. We have v7 on the
    > PIX515E but if you turn on any logging it crashes - even with the max RAM it
    > is not enough.
    >
    > Which Cisco firewall product should I be looking at to replace the PIX515E?

    Juniper SRX 240

    Andrey.

    ducks and hides

    Andrey Tarasov, May 21, 2009

  2. Andrey Tarasov

    NateVR

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Messages:
    9
    If you want to stick with Cisco that will put you either with the 5505 or 5510.

    Depends how many external VPN connections you need. The 5505 has a max of 25 concurrent VPN connections if I remember right (with the Security Plus license). I believe webvpn/ssl connections require an additional license.

    NateVR, May 21, 2009

  3. "just bob" <kilbyfan@aoldotcom> writes:
    >"Andrey Tarasov" <> wrote in message
    >> just bob wrote:
    >>> The PIX 515E with DMZ has been good to us but it is getting a bit long in
    >>> the tooth. We do not need the DMZ and we do not need failover. Just need
    >>> to do Cisco client VPN and Point to point VPN. Inside clients number less
    >>> than 100, and we are currently not running any public websites. Just
    >>> want to be able to run a good solid GUI (ASDM 7?) and fast processor. We
    >>> have v7 on the PIX515E but if you turn on any logging it crashes - even
    >>> with the max RAM it is not enough.
    >>>
    >>> Which Cisco firewall product should I be looking at to replace the
    >>> PIX515E?

    >> Juniper SRX 240
    >>

    >Hi, Google cannot find this one - it wants to know if I meant "MX"

    No, definately SRX.
    http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/security/srx-series/srx240/#ordering

    But if we are recomending outside of Cisco (which I do for firewalls),
    I'd go with a FortiGate-80C to replace it for the size you list. A bit
    cheaper than the Juniper solution, although you can get much bigger
    FortiGates too.

    You'd need to change out your VPN client for either solution, since
    the cisco software looks specificly for cisco vendor at the far end.

    All these systems are Enterprise class devices, which generally get
    sold through partners familure with them. Juniper in particular only
    wants 'face-to-face' sales as they term it.

    Doug McIntyre, May 21, 2009
  4. Andrey Tarasov

    Guest

    On May 21, 4:06 pm, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > "just bob" <kilbyfan@aoldotcom> writes:
    > >"Andrey Tarasov" <> wrote in message

    > >> Juniper SRX 240

    > >Hi, Google cannot find this one - it wants to know if I meant "MX"

    > No, definately SRX.http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/security/srx-series/sr...
    >
    > But if we are recomending outside of Cisco (which I do for firewalls),
    > I'd go with a FortiGate-80C to replace it for the size you list. A bit
    > cheaper than the Juniper solution, although you can get much bigger
    > FortiGates too.
    >
    > You'd need to change out your VPN client for either solution, since
    > the cisco software looks specificly for cisco vendor at the far end.
    >
    > All these systems are Enterprise class devices, which generally get
    > sold through partners familure with them. Juniper in particular only
    > wants 'face-to-face' sales as they term it.

    We sell Juniper and Cisco firewall products.
    http://www.canvassystems.com/about_us/

    , May 28, 2009