Re: Repairing Operating System

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by George, Sep 23, 2007.

  1. George

    George Guest

    456 wrote:
    > Repair your operating system
    > http://windowsxpsp2pro.blogspot.com

    So, here's what my machine already has. I didn't have to make these
    changes.

    "You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called: I386 This
    is a major folder and should be one of the first you see, now copy this
    onto your hard drive into the system root. For most of you that is going
    to be C:\ so you should end up with a folder that looks like: C:\I386

    Now you will need to tell your computer you now have the files on your
    PC.
    We do this is the registry (type regedit in the Run box on the start
    menu) by navigating to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Setup You will see various entries here on the right hand
    side.

    The one we want is called: SourcePath It probably has an entry pointing
    to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
    All we need to do is change it to: C:\ Simply double click the
    SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the
    change."

    SFC still asked for my windows CD and then ran with no problems. Is
    there a way to tell if any files were replaced? Mine is a xpsp1
    machine.

    George, Sep 23, 2007