Re: Repair Install/Clean Install of Win XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ragnar, Oct 27, 2010.

  1. Ragnar

    Ragnar Guest

    "Pigmy Elephant" <> wrote in message
    > My keyboard is unavailable during boot up for some reason so I can't
    > use the "hit any key now" option to boot from CD. Is there any way to
    > get around this?
    >
    > When the computer is first booted before post screen the keyboard
    > definitely works because it will allow you to use the del key to get
    > into the BIOS. But during the boot up to Windows none of the keys
    > register so after option for BIOS I don't have any keyboard support it
    > just runs through and loads windows all the way to xp desktop GUI.
    >
    > I have a wireless usb keyboard. Shouldn't this have support all the
    > way through? And is there a way to get the keyboard supported when
    > its not being? Its that gap between option for Bios and loading up
    > windows that I have no keyboard and none of the keys register.I'm
    > wondering what this no mans land is called? Is it DOS? If so how do I
    > get it supported in there? Is there a way?
    >
    > I really need to a repair install, or if I don't have that option to
    > just do a clean install of windows xp as I have backed up everything
    > important recently.

    I have the same problem with a USB keyboard/mouse. I keep an old PS2
    keyboard in the cupboard for the odd occasion when I need it to type in the
    boot screen, enter Safe Mode etc.
    R.
    Ragnar, Oct 27, 2010

  2. "A. Jones" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:17:00 +0100, "Ragnar" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have the same problem with a USB keyboard/mouse. I keep an old PS2
    >>keyboard in the cupboard for the odd occasion when I need it to type in
    >>the
    >>boot screen, enter Safe Mode etc.

    > I have never had the problem occur. But then, I'm still using a ten
    > year old ps2 keyboard, with which I have obviously become very
    > comfortable. LOL

    I have a USB keyboard and mouse, and I don't have any problem using them
    during boot-time. My BIOS has a setting to enable the USB, and I have an
    option in BIOS to boot from portable USB drives/devices. Perhaps I have a
    newer motherboard that supports this stuff, and you guys have older boards
    that do not support legacy (?) USB devices.
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 28, 2010

  3. "A. Jones" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:28:31 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"A. Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>> I have never had the problem occur. But then, I'm still using a ten
    >>> year old ps2 keyboard, with which I have obviously become very
    >>> comfortable. LOL
    >>>

    >>I have a USB keyboard and mouse, and I don't have any problem using them
    >>during boot-time. My BIOS has a setting to enable the USB, and I have an
    >>option in BIOS to boot from portable USB drives/devices. Perhaps I have a
    >>newer motherboard that supports this stuff, and you guys have older boards
    >>that do not support legacy (?) USB devices.

    > Maybe the keyboard being wireless might have something to do with it.

    Mine is wireless.
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 29, 2010