Re: Removing an object using gimp

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Jun 14, 2011.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:39:47 -0700 (PDT), David Dyer-Bennet
    <> wrote:

    >On Jun 11, 9:31 pm, Jennifer Murphy <> wrote:
    >> Is there an easy way to remove an object from a photo using gimp?
    >>
    >> I tried a couple of youtube tutorials that use the clone, heal, and
    >> smudge tool. They work OK if the background if fairly uniform and
    >> lacks detail.
    >>
    >> I tried it with a photo that has a lamp cord over a bookshelf. The
    >> bookshelf is in the background and if fairly fuzzy, but I could not
    >> get it to blend so that the missing cord is not still noticeable.

    >It's a craft skill, acquired by endless practice. Play with the
    >(edge) softness of the brush you use for cloning.

    Cloning is only one way to replace an area. A section copied of
    another area with the same content, a paste to a new layer, the new
    layer under a duplicate of the basic image, and a layer mask treatment
    of the basic image to allow the copied area to show through often
    works better than cloning.

    The above works in Photoshop so I assume it will work in Gimp.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jun 14, 2011

  2. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 17:47:53 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2011-06-13 17:41:18 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:39:47 -0700 (PDT), David Dyer-Bennet
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> It's a craft skill, acquired by endless practice. Play with the
    >>> (edge) softness of the brush you use for cloning.

    >> Cloning is only one way to replace an area. A section copied of
    >> another area with the same content, a paste to a new layer, the new
    >> layer under a duplicate of the basic image, and a layer mask treatment
    >> of the basic image to allow the copied area to show through often
    >> works better than cloning.
    >>
    >> The above works in Photoshop so I assume it will work in Gimp.

    >With CS5 "Content Aware" fill or clone works surprisingly well in most,
    >but not all circumstances.

    I have CS4, not CS5. The poster, as far as I know, has only Gimp.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jun 14, 2011

  3. On Jun 13, 7:41 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:39:47 -0700 (PDT), David Dyer-Bennet
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >On Jun 11, 9:31 pm, Jennifer Murphy <> wrote:
    > >> Is there an easy way to remove an object from a photo using gimp?

    > >> I tried a couple of youtube tutorials that use the clone, heal, and
    > >> smudge tool. They work OK if the background if fairly uniform and
    > >> lacks detail.

    > >> I tried it with a photo that has a lamp cord over a bookshelf. The
    > >> bookshelf is in the background and if fairly fuzzy, but I could not
    > >> get it to blend so that the missing cord is not still noticeable.

    > >It's a craft skill, acquired by endless practice.  Play with the
    > >(edge) softness of the brush you use for cloning.

    > Cloning is only one way to replace an area.  A section copied of
    > another area with the same content, a paste to a new layer, the new
    > layer under a duplicate of the basic image, and a layer mask treatment
    > of the basic image to allow the copied area to show through often
    > works better than cloning.

    I clone onto a new layer, essentially always, to preserve
    stuff and allow me to rework. Yes, other ways of finding
    replacement content are also very useful. I tend towards
    lassoing something, layer-by-copy, touch up the edges,
    rotate and reposition. Having my copies not oriented
    the same seems to help a lot in people not spotting them.

    I don't believe I'm a professional-level Photoshop artist,
    either. (Amateur photographer, pretty good at post-
    processing for realistic photos, though.)

    > The above works in Photoshop so I assume it will work in Gimp.

    I don't recall that Gimp has layer masks, but I primarily use
    Photoshop myself, I only look into Gimp now and then
    for my general fund of knowledge (and sometimes to use
    at work; I'm a software guy, but when web stuff needs
    graphics I sometimes do that currently, since we're
    not a web company and don't have designers on staff).
    So I could be out of date, or just wrong.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 14, 2011
  4. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 07:31:55 -0700 (PDT), David Dyer-Bennet
    <> wrote:

    >On Jun 13, 7:41 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:39:47 -0700 (PDT), David Dyer-Bennet
    >>
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >It's a craft skill, acquired by endless practice.  Play with the
    >> >(edge) softness of the brush you use for cloning.

    >> Cloning is only one way to replace an area.  A section copied of
    >> another area with the same content, a paste to a new layer, the new
    >> layer under a duplicate of the basic image, and a layer mask treatment
    >> of the basic image to allow the copied area to show through often
    >> works better than cloning.

    >I clone onto a new layer, essentially always, to preserve
    >stuff and allow me to rework.

    I go further than that. I always work on a duplicate layer of the
    original ("Background Copy"), but I only go so far with something like
    cloning where extensive adjustments are necessary.

    I'll do some basic cloning to the point where I'm satisfied with the
    progress so far. Then it's Control-J and continue on a new layer.
    This ensures that I don't lose what I'm satisfied with if later
    adjustments are not satisfactory.

    When an adjustment layer is used, I do the same thing, but holding
    down "Alt" while clicking "Layer > Merge Visible". This gives me a
    new layer that is not an adjustment layer without flattening the
    entire image.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jun 14, 2011
  5. tony cooper

    sid Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    >> The above works in Photoshop so I assume it will work in Gimp.

    yes, it will

    > I don't recall that Gimp has layer masks,

    yes, it does

    hth
    --
    sid