Re: reliable power supplies.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard, Aug 6, 2008.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > I shut down some machines here before going out since there was the
    > incoming storm warnings etc.
    >
    > Anyway, now 2 of them are not cooperating with turning on. I strongly
    > suspect power supplies since they will turn on with all the drives
    > unplugged for a little longer in the case of one of them, and will
    > actually get the fans spinning in the other.
    >
    > At the moment they are an enermax 500 watt and a no-brander. and I have
    > being less then impressed with the enermax considering it had problems
    > with 10 hdds and not alot else from new (machine only has 6 now) -
    > hardly overloaded considering its a P4 1800 and an onboard 32 meg ati
    > something.

    Well I finally got around to getting a el-cheapo to put in the machine
    in the mean time to get it up and running with some of the discs
    spinning (since the server I am server sitting why my mate is on his OE
    is also my WSUS server since it has server2003 on it) and I needed to
    get updates happening again.

    Well, to my suprise when I pulled it out, the cheezy crap looking PSU
    which formally had a giant light up colour changing fan on it is....

    A AcBel 400W intelligent power with active PFC. Model API4PC01...

    So I am thinking that I will not be getting another acbel to replace
    this one. The reason he got it was because it was the cheapest in the
    shop with a long P4 cable, the case is an old yeong yang cube so needs a
    long P4 cable, and the budget PSU one only just reached.

    So turning it on with a jumper on the green wire just makes a tick tick
    tick sound, I will talk to a friend and see what the deal is with repair
    on one of these.
    Richard, Aug 6, 2008

  2. Richard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> I shut down some machines here before going out since there was the
    >> incoming storm warnings etc.
    >>
    >> Anyway, now 2 of them are not cooperating with turning on. I strongly
    >> suspect power supplies since they will turn on with all the drives
    >> unplugged for a little longer in the case of one of them, and will
    >> actually get the fans spinning in the other.
    >>
    >> At the moment they are an enermax 500 watt and a no-brander. and I
    >> have being less then impressed with the enermax considering it had
    >> problems with 10 hdds and not alot else from new (machine only has 6
    >> now) - hardly overloaded considering its a P4 1800 and an onboard 32
    >> meg ati something.

    > Well I finally got around to getting a el-cheapo to put in the machine
    > in the mean time to get it up and running with some of the discs
    > spinning (since the server I am server sitting why my mate is on his
    > OE is also my WSUS server since it has server2003 on it) and I needed
    > to get updates happening again.
    >
    > Well, to my suprise when I pulled it out, the cheezy crap looking PSU
    > which formally had a giant light up colour changing fan on it is....
    >
    > A AcBel 400W intelligent power with active PFC. Model API4PC01...
    >
    > So I am thinking that I will not be getting another acbel to replace
    > this one. The reason he got it was because it was the cheapest in the
    > shop with a long P4 cable, the case is an old yeong yang cube so
    > needs a long P4 cable, and the budget PSU one only just reached.
    >
    > So turning it on with a jumper on the green wire just makes a tick
    > tick tick sound, I will talk to a friend and see what the deal is
    > with repair on one of these.

    Don't open it! They have a lifetime warranty:

    http://www.zcom.co.nz/privacy.php?osCsid=17a9aeb5b7

    Zcom are the NZ agents but it'd probably pay to go through the supplier
    where it was bought.

    I have four AcBels here, the oldest is in an IBM desktop from 1996 and
    they're all going just fine.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 6, 2008

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Don't open it! They have a lifetime warranty:
    >
    > http://www.zcom.co.nz/privacy.php?osCsid=17a9aeb5b7
    >
    > Zcom are the NZ agents but it'd probably pay to go through the supplier
    > where it was bought.
    >
    > I have four AcBels here, the oldest is in an IBM desktop from 1996 and
    > they're all going just fine.

    No reciept, and he has no idea who he got it thru since it was just a
    spur of the moment purchase.

    I will email zcom and see what they say but otherwise I will drop it to
    a buy I know who fixes things for a living like this and it will
    probably be the capacitors like it has being in almost every other PSU
    thats failed on me.
    Richard, Aug 7, 2008
  4. Richard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Don't open it! They have a lifetime warranty:
    >>
    >> http://www.zcom.co.nz/privacy.php?osCsid=17a9aeb5b7
    >>
    >> Zcom are the NZ agents but it'd probably pay to go through the
    >> supplier where it was bought.
    >>
    >> I have four AcBels here, the oldest is in an IBM desktop from 1996
    >> and they're all going just fine.

    > No reciept, and he has no idea who he got it thru since it was just a
    > spur of the moment purchase.
    >
    > I will email zcom and see what they say

    I guess they'll say "no way" but you'd think that a lifetime warranty
    wouldn't require a receipt. Perhaps it's non-transferable? I dunno.

    > but otherwise I will drop it
    > to a buy I know who fixes things for a living like this and it will
    > probably be the capacitors like it has being in almost every other PSU
    > thats failed on me.

    Yeah, that's usually the problem, the smoothing caps on the secondary side
    is most likely with the big mains voltage caps on the primary being a close
    second. Unless it was a catastrophic failure, in which case it's likely a
    bit of the silicon, either rectifiers or the switching transistors.

    Good luck,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 7, 2008