Re: reliable power supplies.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Shore, Jul 30, 2008.

  1. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:17:44 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >I shut down some machines here before going out since there was the
    >incoming storm warnings etc.
    >
    >Anyway, now 2 of them are not cooperating with turning on. I strongly
    >suspect power supplies since they will turn on with all the drives
    >unplugged for a little longer in the case of one of them, and will
    >actually get the fans spinning in the other.
    >
    >At the moment they are an enermax 500 watt and a no-brander. and I have
    >being less then impressed with the enermax considering it had problems
    >with 10 hdds and not alot else from new (machine only has 6 now) -
    >hardly overloaded considering its a P4 1800 and an onboard 32 meg ati
    >something.

    From http://www.fareastgizmos.com/

    The new Asus U-75HA power supply delivers an outstandingly durable
    lifespan of 200000 hours - double that of normal power supplies; and
    is also equipped with four +12V rails and four PCI-E 6+2 pin
    connectors to provide support for high end graphic cards. The Asus
    U-75HA is part of ASUS’ U-Series of power supplies - incorporating
    Active PFC for improved voltage stability and environmentally friendly
    power delivery.

    Craig Shore, Jul 30, 2008

  2. Craig Shore

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:
    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:17:44 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> I shut down some machines here before going out since there was the
    >> incoming storm warnings etc.
    >>
    >> Anyway, now 2 of them are not cooperating with turning on. I strongly
    >> suspect power supplies since they will turn on with all the drives
    >> unplugged for a little longer in the case of one of them, and will
    >> actually get the fans spinning in the other.
    >>
    >> At the moment they are an enermax 500 watt and a no-brander. and I
    >> have being less then impressed with the enermax considering it had
    >> problems with 10 hdds and not alot else from new (machine only has 6
    >> now) - hardly overloaded considering its a P4 1800 and an onboard 32
    >> meg ati something.

    > From http://www.fareastgizmos.com/
    >

    > The new Asus U-75HA power supply delivers an outstandingly durable
    > lifespan of 200000 hours - double that of normal power supplies; and
    > is also equipped with four +12V rails and four PCI-E 6+2 pin
    > connectors to provide support for high end graphic cards. The Asus
    > U-75HA is part of ASUS' U-Series of power supplies - incorporating
    > Active PFC for improved voltage stability and environmentally friendly
    > power delivery.

    Interesting, that's a new model.

    I can't find much info on that PSU other than pre-release blurbs but, in the
    pictures, it looks remarkably like an AcBel unit. AcBel are well-known as a
    first-teir manufacturer whose PSUs are often re-badged, especially for the
    US market where brand is everything and AcBel are a relatively unknown
    brand.

    That said, Asus usually make their own stuff. However, I've not seen the
    rocker switch with neon indicator incorporated in any PSUs other than AcBel
    before. Also, interesting that the quoted MTBF for the ASUS is claimed to be
    200K hours, "double that of normal power supplies" and the MTBF of, say this
    AcBel:

    http://www.acbel.com/PDF/P_PC/SingleR8-800.jpg

    Is claimed as 300K hours. Obviously the AcBel is no "normal" PSU. ;-)

    (I have the AcBel R8 PS2/700 which has one less 12V rail and two less PCIe
    graphics card connectors as I'll never be running two graphics cards.)

    http://www.acbel.com/PDF/P_PC/SingleR8-700.jpg

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 31, 2008

  3. Craig Shore

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:
    >> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:17:44 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I shut down some machines here before going out since there was the
    >>> incoming storm warnings etc.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, now 2 of them are not cooperating with turning on. I
    >>> strongly suspect power supplies since they will turn on with all
    >>> the drives unplugged for a little longer in the case of one of
    >>> them, and will actually get the fans spinning in the other.
    >>>
    >>> At the moment they are an enermax 500 watt and a no-brander. and I
    >>> have being less then impressed with the enermax considering it had
    >>> problems with 10 hdds and not alot else from new (machine only has 6
    >>> now) - hardly overloaded considering its a P4 1800 and an onboard 32
    >>> meg ati something.

    >> From http://www.fareastgizmos.com/
    >>

    >> The new Asuspower supply delivers an outstandingly durable
    >> lifespan of 200000 hours - double that of normal power supplies; and
    >> is also equipped with four +12V rails and four PCI-E 6+2 pin
    >> connectors to provide support for high end graphic cards. The Asus
    >> U-75HA is part of ASUS' U-Series of power supplies - incorporating
    >> Active PFC for improved voltage stability and environmentally
    >> friendly power delivery.

    > Interesting, that's a new model.
    >
    > I can't find much info on that PSU other than pre-release blurbs but,
    > in the pictures, it looks remarkably like an AcBel unit. AcBel are
    > well-known as a first-teir manufacturer whose PSUs are often
    > re-badged, especially for the US market where brand is everything and
    > AcBel are a relatively unknown brand.
    >
    > That said, Asus usually make their own stuff. However, I've not seen
    > the rocker switch with neon indicator incorporated in any PSUs other
    > than AcBel before. Also, interesting that the quoted MTBF for the
    > ASUS is claimed to be 200K hours, "double that of normal power
    > supplies" and the MTBF of, say this AcBel:
    >
    > http://www.acbel.com/PDF/P_PC/SingleR8-800.jpg
    >
    > Is claimed as 300K hours. Obviously the AcBel is no "normal" PSU. ;-)
    >
    > (I have the AcBel R8 PS2/700 which has one less 12V rail and two less
    > PCIe graphics card connectors as I'll never be running two graphics
    > cards.)
    > http://www.acbel.com/PDF/P_PC/SingleR8-700.jpg
    >
    > Cheers,

    Hmm, just following leads from a URL posted in alt.comp.hardware
    thisafternoon:

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

    and I see on this page:

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088&page=2

    a post by jonnyGURU who is a product manager for BFG's emerging PSU range
    and really seems to know his stuff, (I've seen him in a few forums) saying
    "Acbel's like Asus and Cooler Master Real Power should be Tier 2 or 3".

    .... which would make my comment regarding that new ASUS U-75HA PSU looking
    like it was made by AcBel possibly quite accurate.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 1, 2008