Re: Registry Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by trout, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. trout

    trout Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > Since yesterday evening everytime I log into Windows XP I get the
    > following error message. "Application error, there was a problem
    > reading the registry". After clicking OK everything seems fine, but
    > its a nuisance and I'd like to know how to get rid of it.
    >
    > My first reaction was to run a virus scan. Sure enough it found
    > several files infected with JS.Seeker, all in my son's Temporary
    > Internet Files directory. I've deleted them all. Looking back in the
    > anti-virus activity log there were several instances of access to
    > these files being denied on 19th June.
    >
    > None of the other signs of the virus mentioned in
    > http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/js.seeker.html could be found,
    > i.e. I can't find any sign of the files homereg111.reg, prefs.js,
    > backup1.reg or backup2.reg.
    >
    > So I don't think the virus was actually activated and I think the
    > registry problem is probably just coincindence. So how do I fix it ?

    Do you have a restore point you can use?
    And what anti-virus do you use? Might not hurt to double-check with an
    on-line scan, like:
    <http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp>
    --
    "Better safe than sorry."

    trout, Jun 23, 2003

  2. trout

    Steve Guest

    "trout" wrote in message > Steve wrote:

    > Do you have a restore point you can use?
    > And what anti-virus do you use? Might not hurt to double-check with an
    > on-line scan, like:
    > <http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp>
    > --

    Thanks.

    System Restore from yesterday morning fixed the problem.

    My anti-virus is Norton 2002 with an up-to-date virus list. I'll try the
    on-line scan when I've got a bit morre time.

    Steve

    Steve, Jun 23, 2003