Re: Region 0

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Grand Inquisitor, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Dimitri Dewever wrote:
    > Has anybody got a clue what this is?
    > I came across a DVD that was PAL Region 0 (all regions
    > stated on the box) Is this possible ??

    Region 0 means it has no region restrictions, it can be played anywhere,
    in theory. Realistically though there are competing tv formats (PAL and
    NTSC being the biggies), but I believe that cross-compatible TVs (as
    well as region-free DVD players) are commonplace in Europe (very rare
    here in the US, as there's little call for foreign DVDs).

    --
    "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
    --Zork

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 1, 2003

  2. Grand Inquisitor

    Jay G Guest

    "Kenneth Crudup" <> wrote ...
    > In article says:
    >
    > >Region 0 means it has no region restrictions, it can be played anywhere,
    > >in theory.

    > Yeah, but I have an NTSC R0 disc that won't play in either my home
    > player (RCA 5215p) or my Panasonic Portable (L-50)- I have to play
    > it on a computer.

    That sounds like some other problem other than its region.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jul 1, 2003

  3. Grand Inquisitor

    jayembee Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:

    >I've gotten R0 DVDs from the library that worked fine
    >(picture quality left a lot to be desired, as per usual with an R0
    >release, as they tend to be generic Asian releases).

    Actually, quite a number of Criterion's releases are R0. Basically,
    anything that isn't from Universal, Disney, or Toho.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 2, 2003
  4. jayembee wrote:
    > Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:
    >

    >>I've gotten R0 DVDs from the library that worked fine
    >>(picture quality left a lot to be desired, as per usual with an R0
    >>release, as they tend to be generic Asian releases).

    > Actually, quite a number of Criterion's releases are R0. Basically,
    > anything that isn't from Universal, Disney, or Toho.
    >
    > -- jayembee

    Hmm, looks like you're right, I just checked five and didn't see a
    single region notifier of any kind, not even on the disc.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 2, 2003