Re: regarding Cisco Pix, DMZ and NAT combination

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Michael Hatzis, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. G'day,

    There are many thoughts to what is right and wrong and at the end of
    the day is all about making it as hard as possible if a system is
    compromised.

    1. Only allow ports you need from outside to dmz eg:http ssl,, obvious
    2. nat comms from the dmz host to inside network only, not entire
    network.
    Restrict what access the DMZ host has to the inside network and from
    inside to the DMZ server.
    3. Only add routes to the hosts that the DMZ hosts need to access
    inside not the entire network, this only works if your internal hosts
    are on different subnet to what your inside interface is on.
    4. Most important, make sure all your hosts are up to date with
    security patches.

    What happens when your web server becomes compromised and the attacker
    is then sitting on the host with access to the network, so he can get
    into your inside network on the ports you allow from DMZ to inside. In
    this case changing your ip's to internal address space does not do
    very much.

    The way I have set up similar environments has been as a three tier
    network, "funding is a problem at times, I know"

    inside |

    |DMZ

    internet

    i hope this helps