Re: Red Hat stifles free competition

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Wilkinson, Mar 6, 2011.

  1. Hi there,

    On 03/05/2011 11:30 PM, impossible wrote:
    > Will someone in FreetardLand please explain to me how Red Hat's practice
    > of doctoring GPL'd code to stifle competition is good for the open sores
    > community?
    >
    > "We made the change, quite honestly, because we are absolutely making a
    > set of steps that make it more difficult for competitors that wish to
    > provide support services on top of Red Hat Enterprise Linux," Red Hat
    > chief technology officer Brian Stevens tells The Register, before naming
    > those competitors. "Today, there are two competitors that I'm aware of
    > that go to our customers directly, offering to support RHEL directly for
    > them...Oracle and Novell."
    >
    > "In essence, Red Hat is trying to hide information from these
    > competitors that is essential to providing support for RHEL
    > specifically. "What we're trying to impede is competitors that come to
    > customers who are already running RHEL under subscription from Red Hat
    > and saying 'Don't pay Red Hat anymore, pay us, and don't make any
    > changes to your systems'," Stevens says.
    >
    > http://www.channelregister.co.uk/20..._novell_with_change_to_source_code_packaging/
    >

    > Not a pretty picture.
    >
    > But didn't Larry D'Loser tell us that Oracle was not a competitive
    > threat to Red Hat? Let's see.....Why, yes, he did:
    >
    > https://groups.google.com/group/nz....f54fbd709a2bd91b?q=Oracle group:nz.comp&hl=en
    >
    > Red Hat is looking more and more like a Loser itself.

    Jeez, after more than 12 months absence from newsgroups I decide to
    check back in on nz.comp, and what do I find? You still being a whiny
    little ass-reamed bitch about FOSS and so-called freetards!?!?

    Something about Linux must really chap your ass for you to be this
    dogged and delusional when it comes to dredging up any non-news
    about Linux. Of course you do have your counterparts who see it
    from the other side, but that's not to say that they're not just
    as loony and deluded as you are...

    Parties at your place must be something huh?

    Kind regards,

    --
    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    "I got this real moron thing I do, its called thinking..."
    - George Carlin, Comedian - RIP George.

    Chris Wilkinson, Mar 6, 2011

  2. Chris Wilkinson

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-03-06, Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Jeez, after more than 12 months absence from newsgroups I decide to
    > check back in on nz.comp, and what do I find?

    Some people never let it go, or move on. The Cornel in Libya seems to be
    following the impossible route.

    Gordon, Mar 7, 2011

  3. Hi there,

    On 03/07/2011 12:01 AM, impossible wrote:
    > "Chris Wilkinson" wrote in message news:il00qe$26g$...
    >>
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> On 03/05/2011 11:30 PM, impossible wrote:
    >> > Will someone in FreetardLand please explain to me how Red Hat's

    >> practice
    >> > of doctoring GPL'd code to stifle competition is good for the open

    >> sores
    >> > community?
    >> >
    >> > "We made the change, quite honestly, because we are absolutely making a
    >> > set of steps that make it more difficult for competitors that wish to
    >> > provide support services on top of Red Hat Enterprise Linux," Red Hat
    >> > chief technology officer Brian Stevens tells The Register, before

    >> naming
    >> > those competitors. "Today, there are two competitors that I'm aware of
    >> > that go to our customers directly, offering to support RHEL directly

    >> for
    >> > them...Oracle and Novell."
    >> >
    >> > "In essence, Red Hat is trying to hide information from these
    >> > competitors that is essential to providing support for RHEL
    >> > specifically. "What we're trying to impede is competitors that come to
    >> > customers who are already running RHEL under subscription from Red Hat
    >> > and saying 'Don't pay Red Hat anymore, pay us, and don't make any
    >> > changes to your systems'," Stevens says.
    >> >

    >> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/20..._novell_with_change_to_source_code_packaging/
    >>

    >> > Not a pretty picture.
    >> >
    >> > But didn't Larry D'Loser tell us that Oracle was not a competitive
    >> > threat to Red Hat? Let's see.....Why, yes, he did:
    >> >

    >> https://groups.google.com/group/nz....f54fbd709a2bd91b?q=Oracle group:nz.comp&hl=en
    >>

    >> > Red Hat is looking more and more like a Loser itself.

    >> Jeez, after more than 12 months absence from newsgroups I decide to
    >> check back in on nz.comp..

    > And still you have nothing to contribute but some empty-headed whine.
    > Sorry, you wereen't missed.

    ....and your whiny attempt at discrediting an OS and baiting its
    proponents, based on some 2-bit near non-news is classed as what?

    Frankly I care not whether posters missed my input or not - are you
    implying that I expected to have been missed? Again you take the
    usual tactic of speaking as though you know the opinion of all. Your
    opinion counts for you and you alone Dorothy...

    Chris Wilkinson, Mar 10, 2011