Re: Recovery Question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by LarryLamb, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. LarryLamb

    LarryLamb Guest

    "Ted" <> wrote in message
    > My old PC (Gateway Athlon 800hz) just recently died from a processor
    > failure. I was running Win98 with several programs I still need. I

    just
    > finished buliding a new PC (Athlon XP 2600). If I put my old hard

    drive in
    > this new machine, will it boot? I plan on setting up a dual boot with

    Win 98
    > and WinXP eventually, but I was wondering if I could put my hard

    drive from
    > my old machine in the new one and boot up. I know there will be

    several
    > hardware differences.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ted

    Most desktop PCs have a spare data connector and power plug for a
    second hard drive. All you have to do is set the jumper cables on the
    back of the old drive to "slave" setting . When the PC boots up, it
    will recognise the second drive and allow you to copy and paste files
    from it to the new drive.
    LarryLamb, Jul 5, 2003