Re: Recordable DVD Advice

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by GSX Neil, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. GSX Neil

    GSX Neil Guest

    I've had the Pioneer A06 for a couple of weeks now, burnt 30 DVD's including
    RW and no problems. Much faster if you put it on a separate IDE cable than
    your cache disk (I use Nero). I have a friend with the Sony who is now
    trading up to the Pioneer.

    It depends what you want it for! Also, don't buy from Novatech because
    they're near, I bought from BigPockets.com as they were the cheapest I could
    find and their service is excellent. Try buying Ritek Dye disks as they are
    supposed to be the most reliable (a friend uses them and seem to quicker for
    some reason?).

    "Russell Spearing" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am looking to buy a recordable DVD drive for my PC and wanted some
    > personal experiences, advice and general input to help me make a decision

    on
    > which one to go for. I definately want a dual standard one and have

    narrowed

    GSX Neil, Aug 22, 2003

  2. I'm not buying from Novatech just because they are near , but because they
    are very competative price wise as well. Both the NEC and the Sony are
    cheaper from Novatech than at Bigpockets while the Pioneer is slightly more
    expensive. Also, there is no P&P charge because I can pick it up personally.
    I have been going to Novatech for many years and have always been very happy
    with them, however I've never had to return anything due to problems so I
    don't really know what their after sales service is like.

    Russell Spearing, Aug 22, 2003

  3. GSX Neil

    GSX Neil Guest

    Novatech are excellent, I buy a lot from them too, I've actually recommended
    them to about 20 people who've since bought PC's from them!

    The trouble these days is a tendency just to buy on price but service is so
    important and the fact that you've never had to try Novatech for after sales
    service says a lot!! I've found their service pre and post sale to be
    excellent though. Big Pockets seem to be a bulk shifter and all web based,
    I didn't phone them, haven't needed to.

    Let us all know what you decide to buy!

    NEIL.

    GSX Neil, Aug 22, 2003
  4. GSX Neil

    David Guest

    Got my Pioneer from SVS at £128 last week. Very pleased so far - no
    coasters!!

    Dave
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Well, I've taken the plunge. I dropped the Sony from my short list purely
    > because Sony themselves don't support the drive so firmware updates would

    be
    > a problem. That then left the Pioneer 106 and the NEC ND1300A. Having

    taken
    > on board everything everyone has said about the drives and checking them

    out
    > on DVDRHelp.com, I came to the conclusion that they are both excellent
    > drives with good media compatability and identical specs.
    >
    > Therefore, I opted for the NEC solely on the basis that it was £23 (UKp)
    > cheaper at £128 (inc VAT).
    >
    > All I have to do now is wait until Sunday to use it as it is a birthday
    > present from my wife and she won't let me have it until then.
    >
    > Thanks to everyone who gave such valuable advice. Where would we be

    without

    David, Aug 23, 2003
  5. GSX Neil

    luminos Guest

    After all of his research, Russell will find he made a mistake. NEC does
    not make that drive...do some more research.

    luminos, Aug 24, 2003
  6. Hi Luminos,

    What exactly do you mean by "NEC does not make that drive" and if so why is
    that a problem. I have done plenty of research and have not seen any mention
    of this. Also, you don't say why I have made a mistake. If you have any more
    info I would be gratefull, even though I have already bought the drive, any
    details that could reduce the number of coasters is always welcome.

    Regards

    Russell

    Russell Spearing, Aug 26, 2003