Re: Recordable DVD Advice

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by CAM, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. CAM

    CAM Guest

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:55:49 +0000 (UTC), "Russell Spearing"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I am looking to buy a recordable DVD drive for my PC and wanted some
    >personal experiences, advice and general input to help me make a decision on
    >which one to go for. I definately want a dual standard one and have narrowed
    >it down to 3 (mainly because they are all available from Novatech which is
    >local to me.
    >
    >The 3 on the short list are:
    >
    >Sony DWU10A
    >NEC ND1300
    >Pioneer DVR-106

    Pioneer a06 without a shadow of a doubt.
    Pioneer make the best pc burners and can burn to most brands where the
    sony can be a bit particular with what you feed into it.

    need more help.
    go check out dvdrhelp.com

    >I am really concerned about compatability with various media (especially
    >cheap media) and actual writing speeds attainable.

    cheap media is always a concern across different platforms.

    CAM, Aug 22, 2003

  2. CAM

    Doug Ramage Guest

    "CAM" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:55:49 +0000 (UTC), "Russell Spearing"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all,
    > >
    > >I am looking to buy a recordable DVD drive for my PC and wanted some
    > >personal experiences, advice and general input to help me make a decision

    on
    > >which one to go for. I definately want a dual standard one and have

    narrowed
    > >it down to 3 (mainly because they are all available from Novatech which

    is
    > >local to me.
    > >
    > >The 3 on the short list are:
    > >
    > >Sony DWU10A
    > >NEC ND1300
    > >Pioneer DVR-106

    > Pioneer a06 without a shadow of a doubt.
    > Pioneer make the best pc burners and can burn to most brands where the
    > sony can be a bit particular with what you feed into it.
    >
    > need more help.
    > go check out dvdrhelp.com
    >

    > >I am really concerned about compatability with various media (especially
    > >cheap media) and actual writing speeds attainable.

    > cheap media is always a concern across different platforms.
    >

    > >Any advice or comments welcome
    > >
    > >Regards Russell

    I have the Sony U10A and it has worked flawlessly (so far.........). It has
    burned every piece of media (-R and +R) which I have thrown at it, including
    cheapy stuff at 50p per dvd.

    The Sony has a marginally better spec than the Pioneer - not had much
    dealings with the NEC.

    Note there is now a triple format drive available - LG 4040B which does
    dvd-ram (@3x) in addition to dvd-r/rw and dvd+r/rw. It's about £120 + VAT. I
    have ordered one, which be delivered today (hopefully).
    --
    Doug Ramage
    Doug Ramage, Aug 22, 2003

  3. CAM

    keved Guest

    >> The 3 on the short list are:
    >>
    >> Sony DWU10A
    >> NEC ND1300
    >> Pioneer DVR-106

    I have both the Sony and the Pioneer in my Mac. Whenever I'm going to burn
    multiple copies of my DVD projects I'll set them up to burn at the same time
    and see which wins. So far the Pioneer has always finished slightly ahead
    of the Sony, but we're only talking by seconds. They're both on the same
    IDE.

    I've yet to get a coaster off either one of them (except for my own stupid
    editing mistakes).
    keved, Aug 22, 2003
  4. CAM

    GSX Neil Guest

    Doug,

    Where are you buying DVD's at 50p from? Also, where are you getting the LG
    drive from? Please share your source!

    NEIL.

    GSX Neil, Aug 22, 2003
  5. CAM

    Doug Ramage Guest

    Neil,

    Dvds came from BigPockets.

    LG 4040B, which has arrived but is still in its box, came from Komplett.
    Although Scan are also selling them, but I can recall their stock levels.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    Doug Ramage, Aug 22, 2003