Re: Recommended size of scratch disk.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Allodoxaphobia, May 25, 2008.

  1. On Sun, 25 May 2008 23:54:45 +0530, pimpom wrote:
    > I like taking pictures and have thousands of them in my computer,
    > but cannot devote as much time and serious attention to photography
    > as I would like. So far, I have only dabbled on and off with
    > Photoshop (v7), but could become more involved in the future.
    >
    > I guess the desireable amount of RAM and scratch disk size depends
    > on image size. So far, the largest images I've worked on are of
    > the order of 20 MP - around 70MB in 24-bit color. Hard to say if
    > I'm likely to become more ambitious in the future.
    >
    > I am migrating to another computer with Win XP, 1GB RAM and two
    > hard disks - a 320GB main drive and a 200GB second drive. Do you
    > think I will benefit from creating a partition on the second drive
    > to be used exclusively as a PS scratch disk ? And if so, will
    > something like 5GB be adequate ?

    Buy a Big, Honkin' USB HDD. Keep your images on a partition there,
    _and_ use a 2nd partition on the USB HDD to back up your user files from
    the PC. You do back up, don't you? :)

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts: <http://jonz.net/ng.htm>

    Allodoxaphobia, May 25, 2008

  2. On Sun, 25 May 2008 22:06:55 +0000, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > On Sun, 25 May 2008 23:54:45 +0530, pimpom wrote:
    >> I like taking pictures and have thousands of them in my computer, but
    >> cannot devote as much time and serious attention to photography as I
    >> would like. So far, I have only dabbled on and off with Photoshop (v7),
    >> but could become more involved in the future.
    >>
    >> I guess the desireable amount of RAM and scratch disk size depends on
    >> image size. So far, the largest images I've worked on are of the order
    >> of 20 MP - around 70MB in 24-bit color. Hard to say if I'm likely to
    >> become more ambitious in the future.
    >>
    >> I am migrating to another computer with Win XP, 1GB RAM and two hard
    >> disks - a 320GB main drive and a 200GB second drive. Do you think I
    >> will benefit from creating a partition on the second drive to be used
    >> exclusively as a PS scratch disk ? And if so, will something like 5GB
    >> be adequate ?

    > Buy a Big, Honkin' USB HDD. Keep your images on a partition there,
    > _and_ use a 2nd partition on the USB HDD to back up your user files from
    > the PC. You do back up, don't you? :)

    I disagree. I'd spend the money on max'ing out the RAM, first, then do a
    little drive/partition reworking to get the most out of the two existing
    drives before investing in another.

    FWIW, I prefer to have the System/Applications on one drive and all my
    data and such on another with nightly "difference" backups of the data
    drive going onto a backups dedicated 3rd on a completely different
    machine, but then I'm unbelievably paranoid. ;-)

    Stef

    Stefan Patric, May 26, 2008

  3. Allodoxaphobia <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 25 May 2008 23:54:45 +0530, pimpom wrote:
    >> I am migrating to another computer with Win XP, 1GB RAM and two
    >> hard disks - a 320GB main drive and a 200GB second drive. Do you
    >> think I will benefit from creating a partition on the second drive
    >> to be used exclusively as a PS scratch disk ? And if so, will
    >> something like 5GB be adequate ?

    >Buy a Big, Honkin' USB HDD. Keep your images on a partition there,
    >_and_ use a 2nd partition on the USB HDD to back up your user files from
    >the PC. You do back up, don't you? :)

    While backing up is certainly useful I wonder why you would possibly
    want to create a swap partition on a HDD with such a slow interface.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, May 26, 2008
  4. On Mon, 26 May 2008 22:14:47 GMT, J?gen Exner wrote:
    > Allodoxaphobia <> wrote:
    >>On Sun, 25 May 2008 23:54:45 +0530, pimpom wrote:
    >>> I am migrating to another computer with Win XP, 1GB RAM and two
    >>> hard disks - a 320GB main drive and a 200GB second drive. Do you
    >>> think I will benefit from creating a partition on the second drive
    >>> to be used exclusively as a PS scratch disk ? And if so, will
    >>> something like 5GB be adequate ?

    >>Buy a Big, Honkin' USB HDD. Keep your images on a partition there,
    >>_and_ use a 2nd partition on the USB HDD to back up your user files from
    >>the PC. You do back up, don't you? :)

    > While backing up is certainly useful I wonder why you would possibly
    > want to create a swap partition on a HDD with such a slow interface.

    Huh? Where in anything that you quoted was "swap" addressed?

    And, the intent would never be to actually work on images on the USB HDD.
    Copy the 'archive' image that's to be futzed with to the image editing
    directory on a 'motherboard' HDD and flail away.

    The OP intimated that he wanted to store A LOT of images on a HDD when
    putting together a new system. Why tie up some much space with archive
    storage on the mainboard HDD(s)?

    And, to the OP: Burn a copy of your image directory(s) using your
    new DVD writer -- if they are at all important to you.

    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, May 27, 2008