Re: Recommended safe surfing software

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PhilGreg, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. PhilGreg

    PhilGreg Guest

    "Philip SC" <> wrote in message
    > My brother-in-law has just got broadband and is on the point of

    enabling net
    > access for the kids, but wants to install some appropriate software

    > protect the kids from inappropriate sites.
    >
    > I've heard of Net Nanny and Cyber Surfer, and would be grateful for

    any
    > parent's recommendations. Ideally, something that's got different

    passwords
    > for different kids (there are three of varying ages) and another

    which
    > allows unfiltered access for the brother-in-law and sister.
    >
    > Huge thanks in advance.

    ==> Amen to what Mike said. I would quickly add that having raised
    four kids to adulthood and in the process of doing same w/one
    grandson, it is impossible to be w/every kid every moment he/she is
    online. Therefore, I would add, while you're at it learn to filter out
    questionable sites using either the Hosts file or Outpost Firewall
    with it's plugins.
    Ultimately some of them will learn to bypass the filters but that's
    alright, they will know what you expect of them and sooner or later
    they are going to explore. Be ready to explain
    your expectations to them and, believe it or not, it will work.
    BTDT<G>.

    --
    Phil

    \\\///