Re: Recommendation plse - video capture

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob J, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, nt says...
    > Looking to buy a video capture device of some sort to copy my VHS onto DVD.
    >
    > Any suggestions of a good, budget-friendly, device please? I have found an
    > Excel TV Tuner, Capture, FM radio ,with remote for $59+GST thru pricespy. Is
    > this any good?
    >
    > TIA for any assistance

    If you have a digital camcorder you can use that to convert the signal
    to digital and then a firewire card is all you need.

    Rob J, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Rob J

    Alan Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, nt says...
    >> Looking to buy a video capture device of some sort to copy my VHS
    >> onto DVD.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions of a good, budget-friendly, device please? I have
    >> found an Excel TV Tuner, Capture, FM radio ,with remote for $59+GST
    >> thru pricespy. Is this any good?
    >>
    >> TIA for any assistance

    > If you have a digital camcorder you can use that to convert the

    signal
    > to digital and then a firewire card is all you need.

    Hi Rob,

    How would that work?

    If the original is on a VHS tape how would I be able to use a DV
    camera to convert it?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address

    Alan, Nov 18, 2005

  3. Rob J

    Harry Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, nt says...
    >>> Looking to buy a video capture device of some sort to copy my VHS
    >>> onto DVD.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions of a good, budget-friendly, device please? I have
    >>> found an Excel TV Tuner, Capture, FM radio ,with remote for $59+GST
    >>> thru pricespy. Is this any good?
    >>>
    >>> TIA for any assistance

    >> If you have a digital camcorder you can use that to convert the

    > signal
    >> to digital and then a firewire card is all you need.

    > Hi Rob,
    >
    > How would that work?
    >
    > If the original is on a VHS tape how would I be able to use a DV
    > camera to convert it?

    Wouldn't you just plug the video/audio output from the VHS player
    into the video/audio inputs of the DV camera?

    Harry, Nov 18, 2005
  4. Rob J

    Alan Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >
    >> "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <>, nt says...

    $59+GST

    >>> If you have a digital camcorder you can use that to convert the
    >>> signal to digital and then a firewire card is all you need.

    >> Hi Rob,
    >>
    >> How would that work?
    >>
    >> If the original is on a VHS tape how would I be able to use a DV
    >> camera to convert it?
    >>

    > Wouldn't you just plug the video/audio output from the VHS player
    > into the video/audio inputs of the DV camera?

    Doh doh doh.

    To state the obvious, I never thought of that!

    Alan, Nov 18, 2005
  5. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <acbff.2052$>,
    says...
    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>, nt says...
    > >> Looking to buy a video capture device of some sort to copy my VHS
    > >> onto DVD.
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions of a good, budget-friendly, device please? I have
    > >> found an Excel TV Tuner, Capture, FM radio ,with remote for $59+GST
    > >> thru pricespy. Is this any good?
    > >>
    > >> TIA for any assistance

    > > If you have a digital camcorder you can use that to convert the

    > signal
    > > to digital and then a firewire card is all you need.

    > Hi Rob,
    >
    > How would that work?
    >
    > If the original is on a VHS tape how would I be able to use a DV
    > camera to convert it?

    Connect your VHS deck to the video/audio inputs of the DV camcorder and
    connect the firewire output of the camcorder to your PC.

    This assumes your DV camcorder has A/D conversion available for the
    analogue inputs. Most of those on the market do.

    Rob J, Nov 18, 2005
  6. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <01cff.2062$>,
    says...
    > "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > > Alan wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Rob J" <> wrote in message

    > $59+GST

    > >> Hi Rob,
    > >>
    > >> How would that work?
    > >>
    > >> If the original is on a VHS tape how would I be able to use a DV
    > >> camera to convert it?
    > >>

    > > Wouldn't you just plug the video/audio output from the VHS player
    > > into the video/audio inputs of the DV camera?

    > Doh doh doh.
    >
    > To state the obvious, I never thought of that!

    Actually it does require that this is supported by the DV camcorder.
    Most do. This function is typically marketed as "A/D Converter" or
    similar. Also the camcorder must have composite video/audio inputs.
    Again most do, but they are often doubled up with outputs, and you
    select the function of those jacks in a menu.

    Rob J, Nov 18, 2005