Re: Recommendation on parental control software

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sweetpea, Mar 20, 2010.

  1. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:12:30 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > Does anyone here with children use any form of parental control
    > software?

    But by doing so aren't you trampling over his freedoms WRT using the Internet?

    Sweetpea, Mar 20, 2010

  2. Sweetpea

    Enkidu Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Sweetpea wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:12:30 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone here with children use any form of parental control
    >>> software?

    >> But by doing so aren't you trampling over his freedoms WRT using
    >> the Internet?

    > No. I am protecting him by preventing him from being exposed to
    > content that I deem to be inappropriate to him at his age. This is a
    > thing called "parenting" that perhaps you should read up about.

    The subject line made me wonder why you want to control your parents.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Mar 21, 2010

  3. Sweetpea

    JohnO Guest

    On Mar 22, 9:13 am, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Allistar wrote:
    > > Sweetpea wrote:

    > >> But by doing so aren't you trampling over his freedoms WRT using
    > >> the Internet?

    > > No. I am protecting him by preventing him from being exposed to
    > > content that I deem to be inappropriate to him at his age. This is a
    > > thing called "parenting" that perhaps you should read up about.

    > The subject line made me wonder why you want to control your parents.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Or why kids would need software to assist. Most seem to be doing a
    sterling job all by themselves these days.
    JohnO, Mar 21, 2010
  4. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:38:34 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > No. I am protecting him by preventing him from being exposed to content
    > that I deem to be inappropriate to him at his age.

    Hmmm... hypocrisy!

    You want the right to impose your restrictive will upon your descendants while at the very same time
    protesting ineffectively about the very same thing being done by the duly democratically elected
    authorities appointed to manage our community as a whole.

    Highly relevant given that a significant percentage of the population does not have the intellectual
    capacity to understand many of the social, economic, and scientific issues that impact daily on our
    community.

    Sweetpea, Mar 22, 2010
  5. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:37:06 -0700, JohnO wrote:

    >> The subject line made me wonder why you want to control your parents.

    > Or why kids would need software to assist. Most seem to be doing a
    > sterling job all by themselves these days.

    Very good point! :)

    Sweetpea, Mar 22, 2010