Re: Recommendation on parental control software

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by JohnO, Mar 18, 2010.

  1. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Mar 19, 11:12 am, Allistar <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >   I have a 7 year old that is starting to use a computer and in particular
    > the internet to research things for school. While he has no interest in
    > looking at age inappropriate material, I would rather he didn't stumble
    > across any by accident. I am thinking at this stage that setting up a
    > whitelist of valid sites is the way to go for now - if this prooves to be a
    > pain I'll move to some form of blacklisting.
    >
    > The computer he uses runs Windows XP - does anyone have any recommendations
    > on how to limit what he can view on the net?
    >
    > Does anyone here with children use any form of parental control software?
    > --
    > A.

    What I want is a freebie proxy server to limit the kids internet
    access to certain hours of the day.

    JohnO, Mar 18, 2010

  2. JohnO

    victor Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 11:12 am, Allistar <> wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I have a 7 year old that is starting to use a computer and in particular
    >> the internet to research things for school. While he has no interest in
    >> looking at age inappropriate material, I would rather he didn't stumble
    >> across any by accident. I am thinking at this stage that setting up a
    >> whitelist of valid sites is the way to go for now - if this prooves to be a
    >> pain I'll move to some form of blacklisting.
    >>
    >> The computer he uses runs Windows XP - does anyone have any recommendations
    >> on how to limit what he can view on the net?
    >>
    >> Does anyone here with children use any form of parental control software?
    >> --
    >> A.

    > What I want is a freebie proxy server to limit the kids internet
    > access to certain hours of the day.

    The Tomato firmware I have running on an Asus WL520 GL router here has
    an access restrictions tab with various time and MAC address options
    I guess if you had a whitelist you could do something similar to this
    adblocking hack
    http://lifehacker.com/5060053/set-up-universal-ad-blocking-through-your-router

    victor, Mar 18, 2010

  3. JohnO

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > JohnO wrote:
    >
    > > On Mar 19, 11:12 am, Allistar <> wrote:
    > >> Hi all,
    > >> I have a 7 year old that is starting to use a computer and in particular
    > >> the internet to research things for school. While he has no interest in
    > >> looking at age inappropriate material, I would rather he didn't stumble
    > >> across any by accident. I am thinking at this stage that setting up a
    > >> whitelist of valid sites is the way to go for now - if this prooves to be
    > >> a pain I'll move to some form of blacklisting.
    > >>
    > >> The computer he uses runs Windows XP - does anyone have any
    > >> recommendations on how to limit what he can view on the net?
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone here with children use any form of parental control software?
    > >> --
    > >> A.

    > > What I want is a freebie proxy server to limit the kids internet
    > > access to certain hours of the day.

    > You should be able to do that with squid/iptables on a Linux box.
    >
    > I'd like a solution that doesn't require my Linux server to be running.

    Have you checked out...

    http://www.opendns.com/

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Mar 18, 2010
  4. JohnO

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-03-18, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> JohnO wrote:

    [snip]

    >> You should be able to do that with squid/iptables on a Linux box.
    >>
    >> I'd like a solution that doesn't require my Linux server to be running.

    > Have you checked out...
    >
    > http://www.opendns.com/

    Yes, and it is used. Read try iy out and see if it works for you.

    Gordon, Mar 19, 2010
  5. JohnO

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On 2010-03-18, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > [snip]
    >

    > >> You should be able to do that with squid/iptables on a Linux box.
    > >>
    > >> I'd like a solution that doesn't require my Linux server to be running.

    > > Have you checked out...
    > >
    > > http://www.opendns.com/
    > >

    > Yes, and it is used. Read try iy out and see if it works for you.

    What?

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Mar 19, 2010
  6. JohnO

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:35:49 -0700, JohnO wrote:

    > On Mar 19, 11:12 am, Allistar <> wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>   I have a 7 year old that is starting to use a computer and in
    >>   particular
    >> the internet to research things for school. While he has no interest in
    >> looking at age inappropriate material, I would rather he didn't stumble
    >> across any by accident. I am thinking at this stage that setting up a
    >> whitelist of valid sites is the way to go for now - if this prooves to
    >> be a pain I'll move to some form of blacklisting.
    >>
    >> The computer he uses runs Windows XP - does anyone have any
    >> recommendations on how to limit what he can view on the net?
    >>
    >> Does anyone here with children use any form of parental control
    >> software? --
    >> A.

    > What I want is a freebie proxy server to limit the kids internet access
    > to certain hours of the day.

    Squid.

    It isn't only free but it is Free too.

    Sweetpea, Mar 20, 2010
  7. JohnO

    Williams

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2009
    Messages:
    25
    I have used the protemac. com ProteMac KeyBag(it's keylogger) on my Mac to monitor the websites that visited by my children,It helps me a lot.

    Williams, Feb 4, 2011