Re: Recommendation for external hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dave, Oct 12, 2008.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Oct 11, 8:56 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I have/had a Western Digital My Book Essential that died on me at less
    > > than a year old. While I've always used nothing but WD drive and have
    > > never until now had a problem with them, I"ve done some research and
    > > find their external drives are problematic to say the least. Can anyone
    > > recommend a good external drive in the 500Gb and up range? USB or
    > > Firewire.

    > Some people think they need an external when they could use something that
    > had less vulnerable failure points.
    >
    > Why do /you/ think you need an external instead of some of the
    > alternatives?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Some people (like me!) use a back-up external h.d. because they travel
    a lot. I have two different PCs at work and one of course at home.
    Because of IT-imposed restrictions at work, it is not practical nor
    wise to rely on Web-based back-up services. External, truly portable
    h.d.s are the best way to go for people like us (or a flash drive if
    you don't have to back-up that much).
    Dave, Oct 12, 2008