Re: Recommend good free firewall software for home use.....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ali, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. Ali

    Ali Guest

    I'll add a vote for Kerio

    Ali, Aug 14, 2003

  2. Ali

    RecylerMan Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Worm" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message

    >>>I didn't think XP gave any options for its firewall, other than turning

    > it
    >
    >>>on - and even this is hidden away in the depths of the configuration

    >>That's my understanding too. The question remains; is it any good?
    >>--
    >>~misfit~
    >>

    > No, It is a pig of a thing. Especially if you are trying to setup a local
    > with internet sharing. I hated it. Zone alarm was always my pick of the
    > bunch.
    >
    > --
    > "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    >
    >>---

    I use to like Zone Alarm but I like Kerio now it is more teckie but
    easer to block ports before they become a nucence

    --
    RecylerMan ICQ 22245595
    Mail to :- l i n u x u s r AT i h u g DOT c o DOT n z

    RecylerMan, Aug 14, 2003

  3. Ali

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Aug 14, 2003
  4. Ali

    Worm Guest

    > So do people reccomend using a third-party firewall with XP's built-in
    > firewall? Or is XP's 'good enough'?

    I didn't think XP gave any options for its firewall, other than turning it
    on - and even this is hidden away in the depths of the configuration

    Worm

    Worm, Aug 15, 2003
  5. Ali

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Aug 15, 2003
  6. Ali

    cowboyz Guest

    cowboyz, Aug 15, 2003
  7. "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > No, It is a pig of a thing. Especially if you are trying to setup a

    local
    > with internet sharing. I hated it. Zone alarm was always my pick of the
    > bunch.

    I don't know what sort of problem you are having, but I've never had such
    problems with XPs ICS and ICF
    For me I can enable Intenet Connection Firewall and then share out my
    internet connection with Internet Connection Sharing with about 2 clicks of
    me mouse.

    If that is a pig, then something that is not must be farkin amaaazing

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 15, 2003
  8. "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    > So do people reccomend using a third-party firewall with XP's built-in
    > firewall? Or is XP's 'good enough'?

    XPs is good enough. It does stateful packet inspection. It denies all
    unsolicited inbound connections and scans for information about your
    machine.
    Read some more about it here
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/Plan/icf.asp

    If you think you need additional features install another 3rd party software
    firewall. Read about ICF and some of the other options here
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/northrup/02august12.asp

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 15, 2003
  9. "Aaron Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    > Thus spake Nathan Mercer:
    > > XPs is good enough. It does stateful packet inspection. It denies all
    > > unsolicited inbound connections and scans for information about your
    > > machine.

    > But doesn't block outbound connections, so if you get a trojan via email
    > it can merrily do it's damage. Doesn't seem too great to me.

    Nor me, but I'm thinking about the lowest common denominator. Can you
    imagine the support calls that get generated when granny can't browse the
    net cause firewall is blocking outbound. This is one of the reasons why ICF
    doesn't block outbound.

    Don't run as admin and you won't get trojaned.

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 15, 2003
  10. Ali

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Worm" <> wrote in message
    > > > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message

    built-in

    > > > I didn't think XP gave any options for its firewall, other than

    turning
    > it
    > > > on - and even this is hidden away in the depths of the configuration

    > > That's my understanding too. The question remains; is it any good?
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~
    > >

    > No, It is a pig of a thing. Especially if you are trying to setup a

    local
    > with internet sharing. I hated it. Zone alarm was always my pick of the
    > bunch.

    I've had no problems with it in that respect, all configured very easilly on
    my LAN. I just don't know how much it actually does.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 15, 2003
  11. Ali

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote in message
    > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    > > So do people reccomend using a third-party firewall with XP's built-in
    > > firewall? Or is XP's 'good enough'?

    > XPs is good enough. It does stateful packet inspection. It denies all
    > unsolicited inbound connections and scans for information about your
    > machine.
    > Read some more about it here
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/Plan/icf.asp
    >
    > If you think you need additional features install another 3rd party

    software
    > firewall. Read about ICF and some of the other options here

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/northrup/02august12.as

    Thanks for the info.

    The term: "and scans for information about your machine" worries me a
    little.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 15, 2003
  12. "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/northrup/02august12.as

    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > The term: "and scans for information about your machine" worries me a
    > little.

    If you want XP to provide the information that people are scanning your
    machine for, feel free to turn ICF or your favourite firewall off...

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 15, 2003
  13. Ali

    cowboyz Guest

    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > > No, It is a pig of a thing. Especially if you are trying to setup a

    > local
    > > with internet sharing. I hated it. Zone alarm was always my pick of

    the
    > > bunch.

    > I don't know what sort of problem you are having, but I've never had such
    > problems with XPs ICS and ICF
    > For me I can enable Intenet Connection Firewall and then share out my
    > internet connection with Internet Connection Sharing with about 2 clicks

    of
    > me mouse.
    >
    > If that is a pig, then something that is not must be farkin amaaazing

    I had trouble with the client being able to see the net. Some days were
    fine and some were not. All IPs were static. Maybe I buggered something
    up or were using a not allowed IP address but disabling the firewall solved
    the problem and same network run fine with zone alarm on it. That was my
    fix so I didn't go into it further

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

    cowboyz, Aug 15, 2003
  14. Ali

    cowboyz Guest

    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Worm" <> wrote in message

    > built-in

    > turning
    > > it
    > > >
    > > > That's my understanding too. The question remains; is it any good?
    > > > --
    > > > ~misfit~
    > > >

    > > No, It is a pig of a thing. Especially if you are trying to setup a

    > local
    > > with internet sharing. I hated it. Zone alarm was always my pick of

    the
    > > bunch.

    > I've had no problems with it in that respect, all configured very easilly

    on
    > my LAN. I just don't know how much it actually does.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    now I think about it maybe it was because my inbound and outbound are on
    different interfaces (satelite/modem) but I never spent the time to work it
    out. Didn't like it - move on to something that worked for me.

    cowboyz, Aug 15, 2003
  15. Ali

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:38:23 +1200, "Nathan Mercer"
    <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:

    >"cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >> No, It is a pig of a thing. Especially if you are trying to setup a

    >local
    >> with internet sharing. I hated it. Zone alarm was always my pick of the
    >> bunch.

    >I don't know what sort of problem you are having, but I've never had such
    >problems with XPs ICS and ICF
    >For me I can enable Intenet Connection Firewall and then share out my
    >internet connection with Internet Connection Sharing with about 2 clicks of
    >me mouse.
    >
    >If that is a pig, then something that is not must be farkin amaaazing

    It's no good if you want to do something even the tiniest bit out of
    the ordinary. eg block OUTGOING packets. It also hides some things (eg
    it allows PPTP ports and for this to work it must also allow the GRE
    protocol, but there's no mention of that). As long as it's TCP or UDP
    and as long as it's not ome other protocol it's fine. It's the typical
    80% Microsoft solution.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 16, 2003