Re: rec.audio.linux

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. Roy L. Fuchs

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Phil wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:48:14 -0500, Steve O wrote:
    >

    >>> Maybe we can create a newsgroup to shunt all postings
    >>> containing the words "linux" or "unix" etc. to. In the
    >>> meantime, the SNR of this newsgroup is significantly
    >>> improved by simply filtering out all those messages.

    >> I believe that is why comp.os.linux.advocacy was created
    >> in the first place. The technical and help Unix groups
    >> were getting overrun with Linux zealots proselytizing
    >> their new found religion and overloading the serious
    >> groups their trollery.
    >>
    >> I made the mistake of cross-posting a follow-up to
    >> comp.os.linux.advocacy and my mailbox got bombarded with
    >> email from some of these linux fanatics. Most of it was
    >> long winded, drawn out messages letting me know what an
    >> idiot I am for using Windows and not being able to install
    >> Linux. Others went into long paragraphs attempting to
    >> explain why Microsoft is evil and will soon be demanding
    >> my first born (well not that bad, but you get the idea).
    >>
    >> At first I thought this was humorous, but the more I think
    >> about it the closer I come to the conclusion that a lot of
    >> these Linux cultists actually might be mentally unstable.
    >>
    >> I've lurked a little over in comp.os.linux.advocacy for a
    >> day or two just for a laugh, but I will never knowingly
    >> post there again. Too many usenet kooks over there for my
    >> tastes.
    >> SO

    > COMP,OS,LINUX,ADVOCACY is pretty much known as the septic tank of
    > USENET. It's loaded to the gunwales with trolls, kooks and oddballs
    > all of whom seem to have found each other. In some respects it is
    > entertaining to watch them try and convince people to use Linux but
    > at the same time it is sad to see people so wrapped up in an
    > operating system that is virtually dead at least as far as desktop
    > using consumers are concerned. I work in information Technology and
    > have for the past 14 years and while I do see Linux here and there,
    > most of the people look at Linux as somewhat of an experiment and not
    > a mission critical system. The AIX techs and admins cringe when they
    > have to support an odd Linux server added to the company and the
    > Windows 2003 server people have all kinds of Linux jokes they pass
    > around for laughs.
    > Personally I find Linux interesting, but not ready for average Joe's
    > desktop.
    > However, I find the Linux groupies to be a strange, weird, almost
    > zen/cult like collection of misfits.
    > Talk to someone about Windows/Aix/OSX and it's a tool to run
    > applications that move data.
    > Have the same discussion with a Linux user and it's a religious
    > experience. T'ain't normal IMHO.

    While all of that is deadly accurate, I can't let it stand. I am going to
    stomp my feet and hold my breath until I turn blue if you don't take it all
    back. linux is our lord, bow down and worship linux.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 2, 2006

  2. On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:21:11 -0800, Roy L. Fuchs wrote:

    > While all of that is deadly accurate, I can't let it stand. I am going to
    > stomp my feet and hold my breath until I turn blue if you don't take it all
    > back. linux is our lord, bow down and worship linux.

    Denial is the technique most often used by the Linux brainwashed.
    Get help before you start to hurt yourself with razors and pins etc.
    Yanick Schmuley, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Roy L. Fuchs

    old jon Guest

    "Yanick Schmuley" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:21:11 -0800, Roy L. Fuchs wrote:
    >

    >> While all of that is deadly accurate, I can't let it stand. I am going to
    >> stomp my feet and hold my breath until I turn blue if you don't take it
    >> all
    >> back. linux is our lord, bow down and worship linux.

    > Denial is the technique most often used by the Linux brainwashed.
    > Get help before you start to hurt yourself with razors and pins etc.

    I`ve tried for over a year to install linux, on a partition, on my machine.
    I`ve D\loaded and burned 8 > 10 CDs. (Different flavours).
    All attempts failed, including trying to get help from the linux `experts`.
    I finally got one, `pclinuxos`, that worked first try.
    Interesting this linux stuff, but not that useful to me software wise.
    The favourite error i always got was `spooling too fast`. ???.

    I can always fix WinXP if\when it goes wrong.
    Let `em chuck the crap, I`ll clean it out, and keep trucking.
    Have a great New Year.
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Jan 2, 2006
  4. Roy L. Fuchs

    Scott Dorsey Guest

    >> COMP,OS,LINUX,ADVOCACY is pretty much known as the septic tank of
    >> USENET. It's loaded to the gunwales with trolls, kooks and oddballs
    >> all of whom seem to have found each other. In some respects it is

    No, I think you are confusing it with rec.audio.opinion. Perhaps your
    trolls might be better received there than here in rec.audio.pro.
    --scott
    Scott Dorsey, Jan 2, 2006