    I had an HP Christmas catalog in my mailbox.
    If they can address the catalog overnight, why couldn't they put my
    check in it ?
    - Bobb -, Dec 2, 2006

  2. - Bobb -

    Alex Clayton Guest

    >I find rebates a nuisance and this irritating ... I recently bought a new
    >laptop and went to HP site to register my PC.
    > Although it takes them 8 weeks to process my rebate check, within 7 days I
    > had an HP Christmas catalog in my mailbox.
    > If they can address the catalog overnight, why couldn't they put my check
    > in it ?

    They do it the way they do because a lot of people will not follow the
    instructions EXACTLY and never get the money. If you do not wish to bother
    with the rebates, do not buy anything that has one, or pay full price and
    don't bother with the rebate.
    Moderation is for monks."

    [Lazarus Long]
    Alex Clayton, Dec 2, 2006

  3. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Rebates !

    I find rebates a nuisance and this irritating ... I recently bought a
    new laptop and went to HP site to register my PC.
    Although it takes them 8 weeks to process my rebate check, within 7 days
    I had an HP Christmas catalog in my mailbox.
    He asked rhetorically, "If they can address the catalog overnight, why
    couldn't they put my check in it ?"
    - Bobb -, Dec 2, 2006
  4. It's almost a certainty that the catalog had nothing to do with the
    laptop purchase.

    Of course rebates are a pain and a nusiance. Most of them are never
    redeemed (even on large rebates, $50 and more, the redemption rate is
    only about 50%). Basically, it's a tax on the people who don't submit
    them to the benefit of the people who do. Sometimes also called a tax
    on the disorganized or lazy. I don't like them, but I do them, and I
    save a lot of money by doing them.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 2, 2006
  5. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > - Bobb - wrote:
    >> I find rebates a nuisance and this irritating ... I recently bought a
    >> new laptop and went to HP site to register my PC.
    >> Although it takes them 8 weeks to process my rebate check, within 7
    >> days I had an HP Christmas catalog in my mailbox.
    >> Rhetorically, if they can address the catalog overnight, why
    >> couldn't they put my check in it ?
    >>

    > It's almost a certainty that the catalog had nothing to do with the
    > laptop purchase.

    I was only joking about putting a check inside . I understand WHY they
    have rebates, and that they have to process my request, and the catalog
    ships from elsewhere. No matter, I removed my address and left it on
    the table at the doctor's office the other day.

    As for coincidence, it definitely was sent to the name on their site..
    1. The name on the address was the same as I registered ( not my formal
    name)
    2. I never had anything to do with / got anything from HP until this.
    - Bobb -, Dec 2, 2006
  6. - Bobb -

    BillW50 Guest

    > - Bobb - wrote:
    >> I find rebates a nuisance and this irritating ... I recently bought a
    >> new laptop and went to HP site to register my PC.
    >> Although it takes them 8 weeks to process my rebate check, within 7
    >> days I had an HP Christmas catalog in my mailbox.
    >> If they can address the catalog overnight, why couldn't they put my
    >> check in it ?

    > It's almost a certainty that the catalog had nothing to do with the
    > laptop purchase.
    >
    > Of course rebates are a pain and a nusiance. Most of them are never
    > redeemed (even on large rebates, $50 and more, the redemption rate is
    > only about 50%). Basically, it's a tax on the people who don't submit
    > them to the benefit of the people who do. Sometimes also called a tax
    > on the disorganized or lazy. I don't like them, but I do them, and I
    > save a lot of money by doing them.

    No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may still
    not get your rebate. Just in the last 6 months, I've been scammed this
    way.

    1) Directv offered $100 rebates on their high end receivers. I got 2 new
    ones from Directv themselves who advertised the rebates. Guess what? The
    rebate form was supposed to be in the box. It was not. So you don't get
    the promised rebate.

    2) TigerDirect offered a Gateway MX6124 for $499 after a $100 rebate.
    They make you go through 4 hours of work to get it. Go to a website fill
    out a form, wait for an email, do some more website stuff. Print all of
    this stuff out and mail it in. Four and a half months later no check.

    Of course there are many stories like this:

    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consumerism/rebate_madness01.html

    It is do to the crap they teach in business colleges and universities.
    It is called screw the customer and make the bottom line look great and
    get a big bonus and leave before the trouble starts.

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Dec 3, 2006
  7. "BillW50" <> writes:
    (snip)
    > No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may
    > still not get your rebate.

    (snip)

    FWIW I've been very impressed by Staples' rebate process. Last time I
    did it, I could do the whole thing online and track its progress easily.

    -- Mark
    Mark T.B. Carroll, Dec 3, 2006
  8. - Bobb -

    BillW50 Guest

    "Mark T.B. Carroll" <> wrote in message
    > "BillW50" <> writes:
    > (snip)
    >> No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may
    >> still not get your rebate.

    > (snip)
    >
    > FWIW I've been very impressed by Staples' rebate process. Last time I
    > did it, I could do the whole thing online and track its progress
    > easily.
    >
    > -- Mark

    That's good to know Mark. But how long will that last? Staples will
    replace the upper management in time and then it will be no better than
    the other crooks!

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Dec 3, 2006
  9. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: Rebates -- Officemax

    > "BillW50" <> writes:
    > (snip)
    >> No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may
    >> still not get your rebate.

    > (snip)
    >
    > FWIW I've been very impressed by Staples' rebate process. Last time I
    > did it, I could do the whole thing online and track its progress
    > easily.
    >
    > -- Mark

    I like Best Buy's the best - no more rebates - period.
    But some ( like mine) can ONLY be done via paper mail. On mine, CompUSA
    had a $280 online rebate that I did , but then I have to mail paperwork
    to HP to get a check direectly from them. ( That's how this thread
    started - I was AT the website and could have easily provded any
    necessary info)

    As for others getting "scammed" ... a few years ago I bought 2 items at
    Office Max and submitted them for rebates.

    The first postcard I got told me that it was refused due to "No UPC code
    enclosed" ( it was the original so how could I produce another one
    without buying another one). I had a copy but they said - "so what? we
    need the original". In other words - you ain't getting this money. The
    second postcard told me - get his - that I did not fill out my address
    correctly. THEY SENT ME A FRIGGIN' POSTCARD - TO MY ADDRESS- TELLING ME
    THAT THEY DID NOT KNOW MY ADDRESS. I came across it a few weeks ago
    while cleaning up some old papers and put it aside. I think I'll frame
    it and hang it on the wall in the study.

    My neighbor bought an Epson printer there within this past year and I
    warned him about the rebates and to keep all of his receipts, phone
    numbers/ anything he might need if the $50 check didn't arrive. etc.
    Well 30 days go by - he calls to be sure - it is " being processed" - no
    rebate check. 60 days - no check - he calls again and was told that
    "OfficeMax doesn't do rebates" Apparently they changed their policy
    (like Bestbuy ) of no rebates - sale price up front. Officemax directed
    him to an Epson number. He called - they said that they had no record of
    him ........rathole... finally he went to the store with his
    paperwork/phone records and started screaming ( I would have liked to
    have been there) and the local store manager gave him a gift
    certificate (to get him out of the crowded store). He never did get a
    check from anyone in the mail.

    P.S. I never ever bought another item there - and never will.
    - Bobb -, Dec 3, 2006
  10. - Bobb -

    Notan Guest

    BillW50 wrote:

    > "Mark T.B. Carroll" <> wrote in message
    > > "BillW50" <> writes:
    > > (snip)
    > >> No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may
    > >> still not get your rebate.

    > > (snip)
    > >
    > > FWIW I've been very impressed by Staples' rebate process. Last time I
    > > did it, I could do the whole thing online and track its progress
    > > easily.
    > >
    > > -- Mark

    > That's good to know Mark. But how long will that last? Staples will
    > replace the upper management in time and then it will be no better than
    > the other crooks!

    And we'll all wither and die.

    In the mean time, Staples' rebates work.

    Notan
    Notan, Dec 3, 2006
  11. - Bobb -

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    > No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may still
    > not get your rebate. Just in the last 6 months, I've been scammed this
    > way.
    >
    > 1) Directv offered $100 rebates on their high end receivers. I got 2 new
    > ones from Directv themselves who advertised the rebates. Guess what? The
    > rebate form was supposed to be in the box. It was not. So you don't get
    > the promised rebate.
    >
    > 2) TigerDirect offered a Gateway MX6124 for $499 after a $100 rebate. They
    > make you go through 4 hours of work to get it. Go to a website fill out a
    > form, wait for an email, do some more website stuff. Print all of this
    > stuff out and mail it in. Four and a half months later no check.
    > Of course there are many stories like this:
    >
    > http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consumerism/rebate_madness01.html
    >
    > It is do to the crap they teach in business colleges and universities. It
    > is called screw the customer and make the bottom line look great and get a
    > big bonus and leave before the trouble starts.
    >
    > --
    > Bill

    I hear this kind of crap all the time but to me it just does not wash. Every
    computer I have ever bought came with at least one rebate. A couple came
    with 2 or 3. Everyone who has ever learned to use a computer from me bought
    one with a rebate. So far 100% have come though. I follow the instructions.
    It's obvious to me the "problem" is people who are too stupid, and or too
    lazy to do so. Then of course they whine about how they were robbed.
    --
    25% graduate functional illiterates. We should remove the warning labels
    from everything and let nature take care of the problem.

    Peter Weisbach
    Alex Clayton, Dec 3, 2006
  12. - Bobb -

    BillW50 Guest

    "Alex Clayton" <> wrote in message
    > "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    >> No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may
    >> still not get your rebate. Just in the last 6 months, I've been
    >> scammed this way.
    >>
    >> 1) Directv offered $100 rebates on their high end receivers. I got 2
    >> new ones from Directv themselves who advertised the rebates. Guess
    >> what? The rebate form was supposed to be in the box. It was not. So
    >> you don't get the promised rebate.
    >>
    >> 2) TigerDirect offered a Gateway MX6124 for $499 after a $100
    >> rebate. They make you go through 4 hours of work to get it. Go to a
    >> website fill out a form, wait for an email, do some more website
    >> stuff. Print all of this stuff out and mail it in. Four and a half
    >> months later no check. Of course there are many stories like this:
    >>
    >> http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consumerism/rebate_madness01.html
    >>
    >> It is do to the crap they teach in business colleges and
    >> universities. It is called screw the customer and make the bottom
    >> line look great and get a big bonus and leave before the trouble
    >> starts. --
    >> Bill

    > I hear this kind of crap all the time but to me it just does not
    > wash. Every computer I have ever bought came with at least one
    > rebate. A couple came with 2 or 3. Everyone who has ever learned to
    > use a computer from me bought one with a rebate. So far 100% have
    > come though. I follow the instructions. It's obvious to me the
    > "problem" is people who are too stupid, and or too lazy to do so.
    > Then of course they whine about how they were robbed.

    This was true for me too! But this year that all changed! And some
    companies have had lawsuits against them and the companies lost. And I
    don't believe they would lose if it wasn't true Alex. Right now count
    your blessings that you haven't been robbed yet. As the world is
    changing for the worst!

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Dec 3, 2006
  13. - Bobb -

    BrunoR Guest

    BillW50 wrote:
    > "Alex Clayton" <> wrote in message
    >> "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    >>> No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may
    >>> still not get your rebate. Just in the last 6 months, I've been
    >>> scammed this way.
    >>>
    >>> 1) Directv offered $100 rebates on their high end receivers. I got 2
    >>> new ones from Directv themselves who advertised the rebates. Guess
    >>> what? The rebate form was supposed to be in the box. It was not. So
    >>> you don't get the promised rebate.
    >>>
    >>> 2) TigerDirect offered a Gateway MX6124 for $499 after a $100
    >>> rebate. They make you go through 4 hours of work to get it. Go to a
    >>> website fill out a form, wait for an email, do some more website
    >>> stuff. Print all of this stuff out and mail it in. Four and a half
    >>> months later no check. Of course there are many stories like this:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consumerism/rebate_madness01.html
    >>>
    >>> It is do to the crap they teach in business colleges and
    >>> universities. It is called screw the customer and make the bottom
    >>> line look great and get a big bonus and leave before the trouble
    >>> starts. --
    >>> Bill

    >> I hear this kind of crap all the time but to me it just does not
    >> wash. Every computer I have ever bought came with at least one
    >> rebate. A couple came with 2 or 3. Everyone who has ever learned to
    >> use a computer from me bought one with a rebate. So far 100% have
    >> come though. I follow the instructions. It's obvious to me the
    >> "problem" is people who are too stupid, and or too lazy to do so.
    >> Then of course they whine about how they were robbed.

    > This was true for me too! But this year that all changed! And some
    > companies have had lawsuits against them and the companies lost. And I
    > don't believe they would lose if it wasn't true Alex. Right now count
    > your blessings that you haven't been robbed yet. As the world is
    > changing for the worst!

    Why not bring these 'rebate problems' to the attention of your
    elected representatives (the law makers!) in Washington? ;-)
    BrunoR, Dec 3, 2006
  14. - Bobb -

    Notan Guest

    BrunoR wrote:

    > BillW50 wrote:
    > > "Alex Clayton" <> wrote in message
    > >> "BillW50" <> wrote in message

    > >> I hear this kind of crap all the time but to me it just does not
    > >> wash. Every computer I have ever bought came with at least one
    > >> rebate. A couple came with 2 or 3. Everyone who has ever learned to
    > >> use a computer from me bought one with a rebate. So far 100% have
    > >> come though. I follow the instructions. It's obvious to me the
    > >> "problem" is people who are too stupid, and or too lazy to do so.
    > >> Then of course they whine about how they were robbed.

    > > This was true for me too! But this year that all changed! And some
    > > companies have had lawsuits against them and the companies lost. And I
    > > don't believe they would lose if it wasn't true Alex. Right now count
    > > your blessings that you haven't been robbed yet. As the world is
    > > changing for the worst!
    > >

    > Why not bring these 'rebate problems' to the attention of your
    > elected representatives (the law makers!) in Washington? ;-)

    To Whom It May Concern:

    The world is changing, and as my elected representative, I'd like you
    to put a stop to it! <g>

    Notan
    Notan, Dec 3, 2006
  15. - Bobb -

    BillW50 Guest

    "BrunoR" <> wrote in message
    > BillW50 wrote:
    >> "Alex Clayton" <> wrote in message
    >>> "BillW50" <> wrote in message

    >>> I hear this kind of crap all the time but to me it just does not
    >>> wash. Every computer I have ever bought came with at least one
    >>> rebate. A couple came with 2 or 3. Everyone who has ever learned to
    >>> use a computer from me bought one with a rebate. So far 100% have
    >>> come though. I follow the instructions. It's obvious to me the
    >>> "problem" is people who are too stupid, and or too lazy to do so.
    >>> Then of course they whine about how they were robbed.

    >> This was true for me too! But this year that all changed! And some
    >> companies have had lawsuits against them and the companies lost. And
    >> I don't believe they would lose if it wasn't true Alex. Right now
    >> count your blessings that you haven't been robbed yet. As the world
    >> is changing for the worst!
    >>

    > Why not bring these 'rebate problems' to the attention of your
    > elected representatives (the law makers!) in Washington? ;-)

    Why bother? As the crooks have my representatives in their pockets. The
    US was built on the idea that no corporation has any power whatsoever in
    government. Only individual people do. But like all corruption, they
    find loopholes in the law and they have lobbyist who screws over the
    individuals. :(

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Dec 3, 2006
  16. - Bobb -

    BillW50 Guest

    "Notan" <> wrote in message
    > BrunoR wrote:
    >>
    >> BillW50 wrote:
    >>> "Alex Clayton" <> wrote in message

    >>> This was true for me too! But this year that all changed! And some
    >>> companies have had lawsuits against them and the companies lost.
    >>> And I don't believe they would lose if it wasn't true Alex. Right
    >>> now count your blessings that you haven't been robbed yet. As the
    >>> world is changing for the worst!
    >>>

    >> Why not bring these 'rebate problems' to the attention of your
    >> elected representatives (the law makers!) in Washington? ;-)

    > To Whom It May Concern:
    >
    > The world is changing, and as my elected representative, I'd like you
    > to put a stop to it! <g>
    >
    > Notan

    Hahaha... like that will help any. :(

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Dec 3, 2006
  17. - Bobb -

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "BrunoR" <> wrote in message

    >> This was true for me too! But this year that all changed! And some
    >> companies have had lawsuits against them and the companies lost. And I
    >> don't believe they would lose if it wasn't true Alex. Right now count
    >> your blessings that you haven't been robbed yet. As the world is changing
    >> for the worst!
    >>

    > Why not bring these 'rebate problems' to the attention of your
    > elected representatives (the law makers!) in Washington? ;-)

    You don't need to bother with that. You "vote" with your dollars. If some
    company really is screwing people, you get the word out to people to NOT BUY
    FROM THEM. This will get you a MUCH faster response. The last 5 or 6
    computer buys I have made for myself and family have all been Office Depot.
    I like the way that when they have what I want I just take a card to the
    cashier and they hand me the box. I got so sick of the hard sell for
    "extended warranty". So far all the rebates have been a piece of cake. If
    they choose to ever burn me or someone I know they will never see me again.
    If you really have done everything right, and made copies of relevant info
    and the shit on you, you make sure they know they will never see your money
    again.
    I did get $50.00 from Lexmark this way one time. They tried to pull that
    crap, I wrote them back with "I just took 2 of your scanners back I had
    bought for presents, and will never buy again". A couple weeks later here
    came the check. Companies that make it a point to screw you do not survive
    long.
    Moderation is for monks."

    [Lazarus Long]
    Alex Clayton, Dec 4, 2006
  18. - Bobb -

    BillW50 Guest

    "Alex Clayton" <> wrote in message
    > "BrunoR" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> This was true for me too! But this year that all changed! And some
    >>> companies have had lawsuits against them and the companies lost.
    >>> And I don't believe they would lose if it wasn't true Alex. Right
    >>> now count your blessings that you haven't been robbed yet. As the
    >>> world is changing for the worst!
    >>>

    >> Why not bring these 'rebate problems' to the attention of your
    >> elected representatives (the law makers!) in Washington? ;-)

    > You don't need to bother with that. You "vote" with your dollars. If
    > some company really is screwing people, you get the word out to
    > people to NOT BUY FROM THEM. This will get you a MUCH faster
    > response. The last 5 or 6 computer buys I have made for myself and
    > family have all been Office Depot. I like the way that when they have
    > what I want I just take a card to the cashier and they hand me the
    > box. I got so sick of the hard sell for "extended warranty". So far
    > all the rebates have been a piece of cake. If they choose to ever
    > burn me or someone I know they will never see me again. If you really
    > have done everything right, and made copies of relevant info and the
    > shit on you, you make sure they know they will never see your money
    > again. I did get $50.00 from Lexmark this way one time. They tried
    > to pull that crap, I wrote them back with "I just took 2 of your
    > scanners back I had bought for presents, and will never buy again". A
    > couple weeks later here came the check. Companies that make it a
    > point to screw you do not survive long.

    Yeap! Voting with dollars is the best way to go IMHO. Screw the other
    methods! Too bad many others will continue to pay big bucks for a
    generation or two though. By then the ones responsible will be long
    gone. :(

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Dec 4, 2006
  19. I do about 100 rebates a year (was even more, but there aren't as many
    as there used to be). I get almost all of them. On perhaps 10% of
    them, followup is necessary. I've had an unusally large number denied
    just recently (about a half dozen), but all of them got "fixed" with
    just a single E-Mail (fixed means that online status is showing as valid
    and approved ... it's too soon to have the check yet).

    Barry Watzman, Dec 4, 2006
  20. - Bobb -

    BillW50 Guest

    > I do about 100 rebates a year (was even more, but there aren't as many
    > as there used to be). I get almost all of them. On perhaps 10% of
    > them, followup is necessary. I've had an unusally large number denied
    > just recently (about a half dozen), but all of them got "fixed" with
    > just a single E-Mail (fixed means that online status is showing as
    > valid and approved ... it's too soon to have the check yet).

    Okay I will give TigerDirect a couple more months. :)

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Dec 4, 2006