Re: reassigning drive letter of boot volume

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Stigmus, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Stigmus

    Stigmus Guest

    Go into Disk management...reassign your C drive to drive D (or whatever your
    preference is for your non-system drive). Then, switch your H drive to C.
    This should work. Let me know if it does not.

    --Stigmus

    "American Pi" <> wrote in message
    > I recently formatted my hd and reinstalled WinXP-Pro. Problem is my system
    > now boots from the H drive, and another is designated as C.
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > 1. Is this likely to lead to any problems as I install software (i.e.,

    will
    > it want to install itself into C:/Windows/Program Files/ ? and
    >
    > 2. How can I switch H and C drive letters? Attempting to do so through
    > device manager, I'm told that I can't do change the boot volume's letter.

    > then made the change in a registry entry, and ended up having to delete

    the
    > partition I had just made and reinstall a second time because the system
    > couldn't find the paging file as it was attempting to start up. (Seeme

    like

    Stigmus, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Stigmus

    American Pi Guest

    It wouldn't allow me to change the letter of the boot volume. Any
    other drive, but not the one containing Windows (at least while
    Windows is running).

    I'm still wondering if it matters whether my system boots from C or
    L. I've installed a number of applications since the reformat and
    they all go smoothly into "L:/Program Files/". Any thoughts on this?

    Thanks for the reply.

    American Pi, Aug 5, 2003