Re: Really stupid question.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Yetto, Oct 30, 2009.

  1. Mike Yetto

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Bada bing ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> bada bang:
    > remove wrote:
    >> When you have to change your anti virus , maleware etc, and you delete a
    >> certain version, what happens to all the quarantined trojans etc.?
    >>
    >> I know this is stupid for you wizz kids , but just wondering.

    > I expect you'd like to know what happens to the 'femaleware' too?
    >
    > I'm sure any advice you receive here will cover that! ;)
    >
    > In my opinion, if you *know* that you have been hit by malware (note
    > spelling!) it is always a prudent move to 'flatten & rebuild' -
    > re-install Windows after deleting *all* partitions.

    Isn't that analogous to destroying the fort because it managed to
    repel an invader?

    Mike "we got past the rapids, sink the canoe" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Oct 30, 2009

  2. Mike Yetto

    chuckcar Guest

    Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    > Bada bing ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> bada bang:
    >> remove wrote:
    >>> When you have to change your anti virus , maleware etc, and you delete
    >>> a certain version, what happens to all the quarantined trojans etc.?
    >>>
    >>> I know this is stupid for you wizz kids , but just wondering.

    >> I expect you'd like to know what happens to the 'femaleware' too?
    >>
    >> I'm sure any advice you receive here will cover that! ;)
    >>
    >> In my opinion, if you *know* that you have been hit by malware (note
    >> spelling!) it is always a prudent move to 'flatten & rebuild' -
    >> re-install Windows after deleting *all* partitions.
    >>

    > Isn't that analogous to destroying the fort because it managed to
    > repel an invader?

    It's required practice for some viruses. For Trojans it's certainly
    overkill because they don't have the same infection of the operating
    system that viruses have. Installing windows clean - assuming it's done
    correctly of course - every year isn't a bad idea anyways for a number of
    reasons.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 30, 2009

  3. Mike Yetto

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    chuckcar wrote:
    > Mike Yetto <> wrote in
    >
    >> Bada bing ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> bada bang:

    >>> I expect you'd like to know what happens to the 'femaleware' too?
    >>>
    >>> I'm sure any advice you receive here will cover that! ;)
    >>>
    >>> In my opinion, if you *know* that you have been hit by malware (note
    >>> spelling!) it is always a prudent move to 'flatten & rebuild' -
    >>> re-install Windows after deleting *all* partitions.
    >>>

    >> Isn't that analogous to destroying the fort because it managed to
    >> repel an invader?
    >>

    > It's required practice for some viruses.

    Eh?

    > For Trojans it's certainly
    > overkill because they don't have the same infection of the operating
    > system that viruses have.

    Are you for real?

    > Installing windows clean - assuming it's done
    > correctly of course - every year isn't a bad idea anyways for a number of
    > reasons.

    <Splutter> What? Name one.

    Desk Rabbit, Oct 30, 2009
  4. Mike Yetto

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Bada bing ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> bada bang:
    > Mike Yetto wrote:
    >
    >> Isn't that analogous to destroying the fort because it managed to
    >> repel an invader?

    > No. Not at all!
    >
    > With a fort - a physical structure - if there were 'back-doors' left
    > behind after the attack one would be able to see the actual holes in
    > one's defences.
    >
    > One has absolutely no idea with a computer operating system! ;)

    If you can trust the AV you will know that the bad files were
    caught. If you can't trust the AV you have the wrong AV.

    Mike "or OS" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Oct 30, 2009
  5. Mike Yetto

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Bada bing Desk Rabbit <> bada bang:
    > chuckcar wrote:
    >> Mike Yetto <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Bada bing ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> bada bang:

    >>> Isn't that analogous to destroying the fort because it managed to
    >>> repel an invader?
    >>>

    >> It's required practice for some viruses.

    > Eh?
    >
    >> For Trojans it's certainly
    >> overkill because they don't have the same infection of the operating
    >> system that viruses have.

    > Are you for real?
    >

    >> Installing windows clean - assuming it's done
    >> correctly of course - every year isn't a bad idea anyways for a number of
    >> reasons.

    ><Splutter> What? Name one.

    I'm tempted to say that it's not just an OS it's a POS.

    Mike "but I won't" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Oct 30, 2009
  6. Mike Yetto

    chuckcar Guest

    Desk Rabbit <> wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >> Mike Yetto <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Bada bing ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> bada bang:

    >>> Isn't that analogous to destroying the fort because it managed to
    >>> repel an invader?
    >>>

    >> It's required practice for some viruses.

    > Eh?

    Eh what? What part of the world of viruses (as opposed to trojans) do you
    understand least?

    >> For Trojans it's certainly
    >> overkill because they don't have the same infection of the operating
    >> system that viruses have.

    > Are you for real?

    Yup and so is what I said.

    >> Installing windows clean - assuming it's done
    >> correctly of course - every year isn't a bad idea anyways for a number
    >> of reasons.

    > <Splutter> What? Name one.

    Corruption of the OS. Specifically the registry - which aside from the
    first boot after installed - one has no way of knowing isn't corrupted or
    even testing it for that.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 31, 2009
  7. Mike Yetto

    chuckcar Guest

    "§nühw¤£f" <> wrote in

    > chuckcar <> pinched out a steaming pile of
    >
    >> Corruption of the OS. Specifically the registry - which aside from
    >> the first boot after installed - one has no way of knowing isn't
    >> corrupted or even testing it for that.
    >>

    > Use RegProt...keeps things under your control.

    You don't mess with the registry at *all* unless you are trained how
    professionally. These corruptions happen within windows. Any external
    measures won't change that one bit. Even assuming that the program you
    mention actually does anything worthwhile in principal.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 1, 2009
  8. Mike Yetto

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 00:14:12 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <> wrote:

    >You don't mess with the registry at *all* unless you are trained how
    >professionally.

    I wasn't professionally trained on messing with the registry.

    Oh crap, now it must be corrupted!

    G. Morgan, Nov 1, 2009
  9. Mike Yetto

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 17:46:46 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >Chucktard was *professionally* trained in stupidity.

    Was RtS the instructor?

    G. Morgan, Nov 1, 2009
  10. Mike Yetto

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    chuckcar wrote:
    > Desk Rabbit <> wrote in
    >
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>> Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    >>> It's required practice for some viruses.

    >> Eh?
    >>

    > Eh what? What part of the world of viruses (as opposed to trojans) do you
    > understand least?
    >
    >>> For Trojans it's certainly
    >>> overkill because they don't have the same infection of the operating
    >>> system that viruses have.

    >> Are you for real?
    >>

    > Yup and so is what I said.
    >
    >>> Installing windows clean - assuming it's done
    >>> correctly of course - every year isn't a bad idea anyways for a number
    >>> of reasons.

    >> <Splutter> What? Name one.

    > Corruption of the OS. Specifically the registry - which aside from the
    > first boot after installed - one has no way of knowing isn't corrupted or
    > even testing it for that.

    **** me. I realise where I've been going wrong all these years. The
    hundreds of Windows servers my company supports should have been
    stripped down and re-installed every year along with the thousands of
    workstations they support. At least we could guarantee hours of downtime
    for the clients instead of this 99% uptime nonsense.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 2, 2009
  11. Mike Yetto

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    §nühw¤£f wrote:
    > Desk Rabbit <> pinched out a steaming pile of
    >
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>> Desk Rabbit <> wrote in

    >>> Eh what? What part of the world of viruses (as opposed to trojans)
    >>> do you understand least?

    >>> Yup and so is what I said.

    >>> Corruption of the OS. Specifically the registry - which aside from
    >>> the first boot after installed - one has no way of knowing isn't
    >>> corrupted or even testing it for that.
    >>>

    >> **** me. I realise where I've been going wrong all these years. The
    >> hundreds of Windows servers my company supports should have been
    >> stripped down and re-installed every year along with the thousands
    >> of workstations they support. At least we could guarantee hours of
    >> downtime for the clients instead of this 99% uptime nonsense.
    >>

    > Ok, serious question: why did the community college teach us how to use
    > norton ghost to image the drives on the workstations every day?

    To keep you busy, occupied and out of their hair?

    How the hell would I know???

    > Was it not necessary?

    Well if you stored all your data on the server and/or had a standard set
    of apps then one image held by the IT dept would have probably sufficed.
    Getting the users to update the image of their workstation every day
    sounds more than a little unusual.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 3, 2009