Re: real photo question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Spadaro, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. Tony Spadaro

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Getting them wet again is, in fact, the best way to save them. However --
    the best is not very good. You will lose some and some will be damaged
    beyond repair - especially if they are gloss finished - once a glossy finish
    sticks to something it does not come away still glossy. Consequently some
    areas will be matte - and some will simply be a mess. If you still have the
    original film scanning that would probably be preferable.
    On separating prints -- use warm water and let them soak for a while,
    then gently [GENTLY] pull apart until you feel some resistance. Let soak
    some more - try again. If you have a paper dryer use that (but only have the
    backs touch the metal surface as the emulsion might be damaged and could end
    up sticking to the dryer) to help re-flatten the prints you save. If the
    emulsion is visibly puckered or you think it might separate from teh paper
    do not use the cover on the dryer.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > I'm going to ask here because the number of people who could answer my

    question
    > reading this forum is about a thousand times greater than rec.photo. Sorry

    in
    > advance if this is too off topic.
    >
    > In my quest to move everything to digital, I brought all my chemical

    photos out
    > of archive for scanning only to discover extensive water damage. Many of

    the
    > photos are completely stuck together in great piles. In an attempt to get

    them
    > free of each other without tearing, I am considering getting them wet

    again but
    > I'm not sure if I should. I would be very grateful for anyone who can tell

    me

    Tony Spadaro, Sep 16, 2003

  2. "Tony Spadaro" <> writes:

    > Getting them wet again is, in fact, the best way to save them. However --
    > the best is not very good. You will lose some and some will be damaged
    > beyond repair - especially if they are gloss finished - once a glossy finish
    > sticks to something it does not come away still glossy. Consequently some
    > areas will be matte - and some will simply be a mess. If you still have the
    > original film scanning that would probably be preferable.
    > On separating prints -- use warm water and let them soak for a while,
    > then gently [GENTLY] pull apart until you feel some resistance. Let soak
    > some more - try again. If you have a paper dryer use that (but only have the
    > backs touch the metal surface as the emulsion might be damaged and could end
    > up sticking to the dryer) to help re-flatten the prints you save. If the
    > emulsion is visibly puckered or you think it might separate from teh paper
    > do not use the cover on the dryer.

    What about slides? I have some slides that are stuck to the glass of
    the frame. Would the same procedure work?
    --
    -asbjxrn

    Asbjørn Bjørnstad, Sep 16, 2003

  3. Warm water works well if you have a matte look on part of the print and
    glossy on the other part you can use a matte spray to make the entire print
    matte. if it is a B&W print you can use filters to remove some of the
    discolorations.

    Hope this helps. Generally rewashing won't be a problem however there are
    cases where you may damage some depending on how long they have been stuck
    together. Just take your time and do what you can remember you are now
    trying to salvage what you can the damage already happened.

    As for the Slides it really depends how long the film was stuck to the
    glass. You should test ones that are not your favorite shots to see if your
    results warrant trying on other slides. I would try soaking with a warm
    water solution with a couple drops of Mild dishwashing liquid or photo flow.

    Gary

    Gary J Bevans, Sep 16, 2003