Re: Real Estate photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rita Berkowitz, Apr 4, 2008.

  1. Murray Crabb wrote:

    >> Yeah, I was talking to one guy doing this and he's using a D3 in DX
    >> mode with a 12-24/4 DX lens. Go figure! Buy a $5,000 camera and
    >> put a shitty DX
    >> lens on it. Of course I told him he needs a 17-35/2.8 and he looked
    >> at me funny. Of course if his clients don't care and they pay
    >> him.....

    > I use the same lens for RE photography and the compliments pour in -
    > not too much wrong with this DX lens in my view. It's what you do
    > with the image afterwards that counts.

    The 12-24/4 is an OK lens and was designed as a stopgap quick fix to fill
    the void caused by the DX format. It was an overpriced DX hack that was
    designed to replace the 17-35/2.8. To even let this lens touch the D3's
    lens mount is blasphemy! But, then again, RE photography really isn't that
    demanding image quality wise.

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Apr 4, 2008

  2. Rita Berkowitz

    murrayc Guest

    "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    > Murray Crabb wrote:
    >
    >>> Yeah, I was talking to one guy doing this and he's using a D3 in DX
    >>> mode with a 12-24/4 DX lens. Go figure! Buy a $5,000 camera and
    >>> put a shitty DX
    >>> lens on it. Of course I told him he needs a 17-35/2.8 and he looked
    >>> at me funny. Of course if his clients don't care and they pay
    >>> him.....

    >> I use the same lens for RE photography and the compliments pour in -
    >> not too much wrong with this DX lens in my view. It's what you do
    >> with the image afterwards that counts.

    > The 12-24/4 is an OK lens and was designed as a stopgap quick fix to fill
    > the void caused by the DX format. It was an overpriced DX hack that was
    > designed to replace the 17-35/2.8. To even let this lens touch the D3's
    > lens mount is blasphemy! But, then again, RE photography really isn't
    > that demanding image quality wise.
    >

    > Rita

    Really? My experience in RE over many years says image quality means plenty
    and quality gets noticed.

    mc
    murrayc, Apr 5, 2008

  3. Rita Berkowitz

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "murrayc" <> wrote

    > Really? My experience in RE over many years says image quality means
    > plenty and quality gets noticed.

    Wish someone would tell rental managers that. Look through any online rental
    list and you'll see plenty of fuzzy camera-phone pictures of what could be
    an apartment block, or it might be a cardboard box... An owner doesn't get
    much service for the equivalent of one week's rent!

    However, if you pay $5,000 plus for a basic sales listing, I reckon you
    should get your own web site, with inter-active panoramic shots, not
    out-of-focus, sloping, point-and-shoot snapshots, but often that's all you
    do get.

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Apr 6, 2008
  4. Have to disagree there Rita,

    I have been seeing a major change in RE photography here lately. Especially
    in the high end market, they are really going for the higher quality style
    of shots.

    Nearly all of the affluent suburbs produce high end glossy magazines which
    require very good quality shots. But the clients are paying for the
    service, which makes the property stand out amongst the hundreds listed.

    Mick B

    On 4/4/08 9:45 PM, in article
    , "Rita Berkowitz"

    Michael Brown, Apr 7, 2008
  5. Rita Berkowitz

    Tony Polson Guest

    Michael Brown <> wrote:

    >I have been seeing a major change in RE photography here lately. Especially
    >in the high end market, they are really going for the higher quality style
    >of shots.
    >
    >Nearly all of the affluent suburbs produce high end glossy magazines which
    >require very good quality shots. But the clients are paying for the
    >service, which makes the property stand out amongst the hundreds listed.

    Real Estate is a major part of my workload. It has got to the point
    where anything less than top quality shots stand out in the property
    magazines because the overall standard is so high. The recent
    slowdown in the property market hasn't affected this.

    If anything, there is even greater pressure to present properties as
    well as possible in order to gain the best price in a market whose
    prices are static at best, and noticeably beginning to fall. More
    money is being spent on marketing properties, not less, and one sign
    of this is an increase in demand for full page images, A4 and bigger.
    Tony Polson, Apr 7, 2008