Re: reading and editing recording from miniDV tapes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Meat Plow, May 19, 2010.

  1. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2010 16:38:09 -0400, g wrote:

    > We have some recordings on 16 mini DV Sony tapes which need to be
    > edited.
    >
    > I hear any video camera which can read miniDV tapes or a deck can be
    > used to transfer them to a computer after which we can use Final CutPro
    > or Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 to edit the recordings.
    >
    > 1. Is what I have heard correct?
    >
    > 2. What sort of deck would work for this?
    >
    > 3. Can I use Virtualdub (http://www.virtualdub.org/) or Avidemux
    > (http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/) instead of Adobe Premiere(which is
    > mainly for 64bit OS) or is there any other better free tool for editing
    > the recordings on a 32bit Windows OS.
    >
    > 4. Is there any other way to read from the tapes(other than using the
    > Video camera which can take miniDV tapes or without a deck) and digitize
    > the recording as we don't have it(Video camera which can take miniDV
    > tapes or a deck) and may have to ask other offices for it.
    >
    > Any advice would be welcome.

    You have have to capture the raw video from the tape via USB or firewire
    whichever your playback device offers, onto your computer. Windows Movie
    Maker from Micro$oft will allow you to capture and edit for free and
    offers a fairly decent interface. However it only outputs to Windows Media
    codecs aka WMA/WMV not mpeg or avi. Have a look here http://
    sourceforge.net/search/ and search for free video capture and editing and
    if you find a few give them a try. Some are better/faster than others.

    Meat Plow, May 19, 2010