Re:read Dial up is there any we of making it faster

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dwayne Taylor, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. is there any programs you can download to make your connection faster on
    dial up or settings or somthin

    Dwayne Taylor, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Dwayne Taylor

    EricP Guest

    Re: read Dial up is there any we of making it faster

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:19:14 -0000, "Dwayne Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >is there any programs you can download to make your connection faster on
    >dial up or settings or somthin

    No, it works at the designed speed. Anyone who comes up with a way of
    exceeding this will be very rich, very quickly.

    EricP, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Re: read Dial up is there any we of making it faster

    EricP wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:19:14 -0000, "Dwayne Taylor"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > is there any programs you can download to make your connection
    > > faster on dial up or settings or somthin
    > >

    > No, it works at the designed speed. Anyone who comes up with a way of
    > exceeding this will be very rich, very quickly.

    you can try to change a couple of settings.
    it is not possible to make the connection go over its limits, but you
    can lower your ping , and make your connection more stable for example.
    Try a search on google for dial up tweaks, or download a program that
    will do that for you.

    --
    Diogo Miranda
    Sr. Network Administrator Contractor

    Diogo Miranda, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Dwayne Taylor

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: read Dial up is there any we of making it faster

    You cannot make your connection faster, but you can
    tweak some settings that may, or may not, improve
    overall performance.

    http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/modem/
    http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/modem/

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:19:14 -0000, in
    <w1unb.6864$>
    Dwayne Taylor scrawled:

    >is there any programs you can download to make your connection faster on
    >dial up or settings or somthin

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Re: read Dial up is there any we of making it faster

    °Mike° wrote:
    > You cannot make your connection faster, but you can
    > tweak some settings that may, or may not, improve
    > overall performance.
    >
    > http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/modem/
    > http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/modem/
    >

    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:19:14 -0000, in
    > <w1unb.6864$>
    > Dwayne Taylor scrawled:
    >

    >>is there any programs you can download to make your connection faster on
    >>dial up or settings or somthin

    Just looked over those tweeks... DAMN! that's a lot...

    I would normally suggest changing / limiting your modem's connect speed
    a little... If you get crap throughput at 50k connects, but GREAT
    throughput at 45333, tell the modem to only connect at 45333.

    (Shrug) maybe that's a little simplistic, but it tends to work for me.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Dwayne Taylor

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: read Dial up is there any we of making it faster

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:36:06 -0500, in
    <>
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >> You cannot make your connection faster, but you can
    >> tweak some settings that may, or may not, improve
    >> overall performance.
    >>
    >> http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/modem/
    >> http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/modem/
    >>

    >> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:19:14 -0000, in
    >> <w1unb.6864$>
    >> Dwayne Taylor scrawled:
    >>

    >>>is there any programs you can download to make your connection faster on
    >>>dial up or settings or somthin

    >Just looked over those tweeks... DAMN! that's a lot...
    >
    >I would normally suggest changing / limiting your modem's connect speed
    >a little... If you get crap throughput at 50k connects, but GREAT
    >throughput at 45333, tell the modem to only connect at 45333.
    >
    >(Shrug) maybe that's a little simplistic, but it tends to work for me.

    I'm on dial-up (cable not available here), and those tweaks
    DID make a difference for me.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 28, 2003
  7. Re: read Dial up is there any we of making it faster

    °Mike° wrote:

    >>>tweak some settings that may, or may not, improve
    >>>overall performance.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/modem/
    >>>http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/modem/
    >>>

    >>Just looked over those tweeks... DAMN! that's a lot...
    >>
    >>I would normally suggest changing / limiting your modem's connect speed
    >>a little... If you get crap throughput at 50k connects, but GREAT
    >>throughput at 45333, tell the modem to only connect at 45333.
    >>(Shrug) maybe that's a little simplistic, but it tends to work for me.

    > I'm on dial-up (cable not available here), and those tweaks
    > DID make a difference for me.

    GREAT! I'll keep the links and consider it for some folks later.

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Oct 29, 2003